PDA

View Full Version : Written planning - is it necessary?

tigwig
17-05-2013, 01:06 PM
I used to do a weekly planning sheet for all my children and over the years have found it to be a waste of time. So I stopped doing them altogether. I now do no form of written planning but decide what activities to do based on what the children are into etc. I always thought that was fine as how can you decide that a child will want to do sponge painting dinosaurs at 10am next Wed for example?
So today I print out a 33 page document from my LA which I have to complete in order to become an Accredited CM. I havent read it all in detail yet but the first few pages state I must have various written plans for both spontaneous activities and planned activities. I dont do this at all! What do others think?

rickysmiths
17-05-2013, 01:10 PM
The dept of Ed have said from Sept all you need to be able to deliver the funding will be to be OFSTED registered and LA will not be able to as us to do anything else. So there will be no such thing as an 'accredited cm' because we will all be.

That was what we were told by D of E at a recent pacey meeting in Marlow.

Until then LAs can set whatever rules they want to.

Watch this space.

tigwig
17-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Really? So am I wasting my time lol! I am also just about a Network CM too and wanted to become accredited to better myself not just because of the funding. I'm not even sure I will end up taking on funded children or whether I will have a space or if it will work for me. I just thought it seems 'more professional' to do so and is part of my CPD. I guess if I dont do it they wont keep me on the network.

rickysmiths
17-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Really? So am I wasting my time lol! I am also just about a Network CM too and wanted to become accredited to better myself not just because of the funding. I'm not even sure I will end up taking on funded children or whether I will have a space or if it will work for me. I just thought it seems 'more professional' to do so and is part of my CPD. I guess if I dont do it they wont keep me on the network.

Networks as a requirement will also not be allowed from Sept. To be honest they disappeared from our County several years ago because they were expensive and exclusive.

sunview_cm
17-05-2013, 02:35 PM
I was told that in my area it's not called being accredited but you register on a list of providers. I am in the process of doing this, printed out form and started to fill it in. Am I wasting my time? I don't need to be registered till after Christmas so am I just better off waiting???

X

jadavi
17-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Don't Ofsted expect you to show written planning?
I totally agree with no need.
Teachers aren't obliged to show proof

vals
17-05-2013, 03:39 PM
How can you have planning for a spontaneous activity - unless you possess a time machine!

chriss
17-05-2013, 03:53 PM
so from september so you need to have a particular ofsted grade to have funded children ? I dont't know if I'm coming or going with all these changes :angry:

AliceK
17-05-2013, 04:08 PM
You don't have to do written planning for Ofsted. I stopped doing any at Christmas, had my inspection last month and explained why I don't do written planning. Mrs O was absolutely fine with it.

xxx

chriss
17-05-2013, 04:10 PM
what was your explanation to mrs O ?? If u dont mind me asking :)

Ripeberry
17-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Planning should be done for yourself. To help you plan your day/week or if you have lots of children to care for of all different ages. I've never done writen planning. And it was discussed at my first inspection and Ofsted had no problems with it. I just write a rough idea of what we are going to do in the week in my diary.
:thumbsup:

AliceK
17-05-2013, 04:58 PM
what was your explanation to mrs O ?? If u dont mind me asking :)

I have a specific childminding diary which amongst other things I write any particular plans in, eg meeting with another CM, Specific festivals etc (just a note of this in my diary, no details as such). I follow the childrens interests and lots of that is spontaneous so I will adapt the resources to suit what a child is showing an interest in that day / hour / week but I don't write it down, what is the point? I can show evidence of their progression in their LJ's and daily diaries. I'm always thinking about what a child may like or how I can extend their learning but how does it help that child just because I've written it down? It doesn't so I don't.
That's the gist of it although I have written it down a bit more succinctly in my CPD folder :laughing:

xxxx

karensmart4
17-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Because I'm accredited and because I work with a co-minder and an assistant and because we have 20 children on our books :phew:, we do outline planning and display a copy on our parents board.
When we do our obs we see if there is an area any particular child could do with a bit of help on so we plan something around that and put their initials on our copy.
We also plan for the children's interests and their next steps.
We plan our outings.

But our plans aren't written as; Mon we will do this.... Tues we will do this apart from the outings, these are loose plans that can be changed with the weather and moods.

We plan so that we can make sure we have the resources as much as anything else :)

rickysmiths
17-05-2013, 10:58 PM
so from september so you need to have a particular ofsted grade to have funded children ? I dont't know if I'm coming or going with all these changes :angry:

No you don't have to have a specific grade now in our area it has been Satisfactory and up for over a year now . From Sept we were told all you you will need to register to provide the funded places is to be an Ofsted Registered Child Carer. On that basis Ofsted Reg nannies will be able to access the funding as well.