PDA

View Full Version : naughty words

pipandbaz
17-05-2013, 10:30 AM
Most children go through this at some point and I'm confident in handling the situation with them. I'd like to know whether you all mention this to parents or not ? Like I say I feel I'm resolving the issue gradually but I guess I'm a little worried of mindees going home and saying naughty words and parents think its come from me! One mindee has been saying f**k I cringed at toddler group yesterday
All views greatly appreciated

kellyskidz!
17-05-2013, 10:39 AM
I may be going too far but I write it in my incident book every time a child uses a word like that. I also tell other parents if their child has heard this word that another child has been swearing and that i will be taking steps to try and resolve the issue. I wouldn't like another child to go home and say that word and when his/her parents ask where they heard it from they say my house!
I have my own 4 year old to think of too - I don't swear in front of her so wouldn't expect others to, even children.
I would talk to the child's parents and explain what he has said and get them to sign the incident book and ask them to work with me to make sure their child knows that swearing is wrong and what to do if he does swear.
It might just be an attention thing, or maybe he hears the word so often it's just a word to him, I don't know.
If it was a one off and he's heard it from someone and repeated it its not so bad, but parents should be aware that their child is using such language, I'd want to know. But if it an ongoing thing then I'd be calling parents in for a discussion as he seems young (toddler group) to be using those types of words, it's not like he's older and copying friends at school or something.

pipandbaz
17-05-2013, 11:22 AM
Thank you, its said in temper along with no! She's 21/2 so I'm guessing heard it from home. Good point about other child copying n parents bringing their concerns to me :-(

kellyskidz!
17-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Sometimes it's said in such a way that I've had to turn away to laugh, I've had a 3 year old boy say 'That was my favourite f*****g dinner, thank you.' I was so shocked! But to him it was just a normal word, he'd heard it so often. But yes, I'd definitely be noting it down just in case of a complaint. I'd be pretty annoyed if my child came home saying swear words that I knew she'd heard at cms house and her cm didn't mention it. Good luck!xx

pipandbaz
17-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Oh lol that is funny, your right tho I've logged it down.

Petshrinklj
17-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Wow at swearing at 2. Hope it gets sorted sounds a plan to log it.
Sorry But :laughing: kellyzkidz at enjoying his f'ing dinner. How did you go about mentioning that to parents did you explain context or just say they swore lol. The parents must have known where the child learnt it from.

SDC34cr
17-05-2013, 03:37 PM
I've got a Lithuanian child and often we thought she said f word but wasn't sure. Then one day she said it really clear by this point we had built up a bit of English and was able to tell her it not nice word. No say it. She soon realised and hasn't said it since. Mind you she did once come out with w......r while everyone was eating at the table. We told her again and then explained to mum and dad she had been swearing. They asked what she had said so I told them. Apparently dad works in a factory where it is common talk! Mum had words with child and dad and we have not had anymore thank goodness as she starts school September and I certainly don't want the teachers thinking that's come from our house!

QualityCare
17-05-2013, 05:18 PM
I have a 5yr old obsessed with Charlie and the Chocolate factory, he and 3yr old were acting parts out and were dancing around the room singing Willy Wonker Willy Wonker you can imagine after a while Wonker became W*nker, no about of diversion tactics from me would make them stop singing, parents who are best friends thought it was hilarious when l told them.
As for swearing if l think the child is aware of what they said then l just explain that we don't use that word here, if they reply well mummy and daddy say it l tell them thats ok at home but not in my house if it happens again then l would mention it to the parents.

mama2three
17-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Mine are told I dont like that language at my house - some words parents are perfectly happy for child to say ( can think of crp , sht , oh my God that one mindee used everyday) - these kind of words i dont necc. feed back to parents , its personal preference really. The major swear words then yes , I would mention to parents - maybe it will stop them using that language in front of the kids!

kellyskidz!
18-05-2013, 05:53 AM
Wow at swearing at 2. Hope it gets sorted sounds a plan to log it.
Sorry But :laughing: kellyzkidz at enjoying his f'ing dinner. How did you go about mentioning that to parents did you explain context or just say they swore lol. The parents must have known where the child learnt it from.

I just said he'd been swearing and had wrote down the whole sentence, was a struggle to keep a straight face but I thought if I laugh she might think I'm not taking it seriously. She said it was from dad who used it every other word. Had to giggle when I'd shut the door though! Never a dull moment lol:thumbsup:

sarak31
18-05-2013, 09:25 AM
We had a funny thing recently - one of our little ones loves books and in particular 'the Duck in the Truck'. He can't say that so he calls it 'the Story of Duck' apart from he substitutes a F for the D. He asks for it v loudly in all kinds of public places, begging me .. Please please, I have the story of *uck?'
We have been getting some v strange looks - had to tell mum so she didn't get alarmed when he went home that first night - she saw the funny side!

Helen Dempster
18-05-2013, 09:46 AM
A little while ago I had a 2yo mindee who had picked up the phrase "f*** it" from his dad while he was driving. In the park cafe one day, lil mindee started saying it really loudly :blush: I don't think anyone actually realised what he was saying, but I was soooooooooo embarrassed! I didn't say anything to him, just totally ignored the bad word and got on to a different subject with him. After a while of totally ignoring it, he stopped. Luckily, the parents knew it had come from them and not me!! I think if you're parents know you well, then they know the lil ones won't be getting the words from you.

My own son is in year 2 and comes home talking about the "swear finger" that one of the other kids showed him at school, but he knows it's bad to use it. His uncle also swears like a trooper but my son never repeats the words (he has spelled them out on occasion though, which made me chuckle!)

Hope your mindees soon grow out of it.