PDA

View Full Version : Just want to run this ratio question past people

sunview_cm
17-05-2013, 09:18 AM
I have checked with my DO and rang ofsted yesterday and think I'm ok doing this but just want to check what people think on here.

On occasions I have provided care for a mindee on none contracted days while having 3 already under 5, but understand as long as I risk assess and discuss with parents this is ok.

I have recently taken on a new contract for 1 morning a week for only 2 1/2 hours while my daughter is in preschool. This child get dropped off after I have dropped her and collected before. It is a term time only contract for now. I have only taken him on in the hope that come sept when I am able to offer her more hours she will take them. Now am I ok doing this?

X

Mouse
17-05-2013, 09:23 AM
Sarah has posted some very helpful information on ratios and variations, so it may be worth having a look here

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/general-childminding-chat/118933-changing-ratios-variations-reminder.html

sarah707
17-05-2013, 09:28 AM
The problem I can see with what you have written - if I am reading it right - is that your own child is ALWAYS in your ratios, even when they are at nursery.

So you have in effect changed the conditions of your registration on the mornings you have taken on the new child - and you have done it for new business not continuity of care.

This is not allowed under current requirements because you only have 3 spaces under 5 - plus 1 more IF you follow the rules.

However, there is a strong argument for saying that the new child is now well settled and if you were to give notice you would be causing a lot of upset for the child and their family.

I hope this clarifies :D

sunview_cm
17-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Why couldn't ofsted say that!?

They said its up to my to make the decision! And my DO said that would be fine as long as I consider transition times, risk assess etc!

They never make it clear! X

judipoo
20-05-2013, 09:25 AM
I think one of the most stupid rules is the one which includes your child even if they are not with you! And you cant claim the nursery entitlement for yourself having them but you could send her to another childminder and they would - but you still cant have a third child - so unfair! Glad mine are teenagers!!