PDA

View Full Version : How long do we need to keep contracts for?

lisa1968
16-05-2013, 06:03 PM
...as the title says really.....
I need to have a big clear out of paperwork,and I know we need to keep financial stuff for 6 years and accident records for a million years, but how long do we really need to keep contracts for?
Some of them are 10 years old-the kids have grown up and left school!!

KatieFS
16-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Thanks for answering my q about financial paperwork!
5 years comes to mind re contracts etc, but don't quote me on that

supermumy
16-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Arnt you supposed to keep all for like 21yrs or something silly?

littlemiss60561
16-05-2013, 10:40 PM
i cant remember , but a million years is probably right lol. do you have a loft??
i think the great goddess sarah has a list in resources that tells us how long we need to keep things for.

rickysmiths
17-05-2013, 12:06 AM
you are correct. All accident/incident/Medication records have to be kept until the child is 21 years old. (recommended 21 and 3 months) this is because and child who has been in our care has the right when they reach 18 to make a claim against us in their own right and they have 3 years to do this in.

You should keep insurance records for this long as well.

For completeness and in case of any such claims I actually keep all the records on every child, Contract, Information forms, Signed permissions, attendance records etc etc and also a photo of the child.

I do this because if any claim was made against me I don't think just the accident record would be enough for me to recall a child fully enough to be able to defend myself.

When a child has left I keep their files current for six months to make sure any immediate queries are cleared. The folder (just a 50p one which I put plastic wallets with the paperwork in) including the Accident/incident/medication records are put together and put in a box in my loft with the DOB of the child and the date of the 21 years 3months cut off clearly marked on the front of the folder. I add to this box every year my pacey (NCMA) attendance register which is also clearly marked with the year it covers on the outside and I add to a cheap plastic folder my out of date insurance certificate.

I have been minding since Sept 1994 so 18+ years now and the box isn't that large. I have now shredded 3 lots of records and I now have a gap and will be shredding a few more in a years time. One of which belongs to a mindee that has just gone to my husbands school on teaching practice!! Now I feel old :blush: Then there will be a bigger gap.

They recommend that you keep financial records for six years as this is how far back HMRC can go back if they do a full inspection of your books and how far back you can date any claims. I keep mine for an extra year but of course I shred a years worth every year. Again once my accounts have been done and filed I put the NCMA Accounts book, my spread sheet, copy of my tax return and receipts in a cheap folder and they go in a second box in the attic. They don't take up much space either.

jackie 7
17-05-2013, 07:16 AM
I need to win the lottery. I am going to have to buy a house so I can store all thr stuff. Good idea to put photo with the paperwork.

Kiddleywinks
17-05-2013, 07:18 AM
As Rickysmiths said - till the child reaches the age of 21 yrs and 3 months, however, with all the high profile accusations being made public these days I intend to keep them for the million years - just in case!

lisa1968
17-05-2013, 09:44 AM
We just have no spare space in our house to keep stuff!
We had our loft turned into a 3rd bedroom several years ago,so only have the cupboard under the stairs and anywhere else i can find to squeeze stuff!
My CM paperwork (the confidential stuff) all goes in a filing cabinet in the conservatory-but after caring for 37 children over the past 10 years or so,its getting a bit full!
.....looks like hubby will have to sacrifice a bit of shed space......wish me luck!

kellyskidz!
17-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Such a long time!! On a similar note, how long do we keep planning for? I know it's not a legal document or anything but I've got planning in my folder from September last year, weekly plans, long term planning and individual sheets, Ofsted have seen it up to December but was wondering what to do with it as time goes on?

rickysmiths
17-05-2013, 12:09 PM
As Rickysmiths said - till the child reaches the age of 21 yrs and 3 months, however, with all the high profile accusations being made public these days I intend to keep them for the million years - just in case!

I assume you are making arrangements for them to be lodged with your solicitor in your absence? Can this on going future cost be claimed as an expense while we are still working I wonder? :laughing:

rickysmiths
17-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Such a long time!! On a similar note, how long do we keep planning for? I know it's not a legal document or anything but I've got planning in my folder from September last year, weekly plans, long term planning and individual sheets, Ofsted have seen it up to December but was wondering what to do with it as time goes on?

You don't need to write down any planning and you certainly don't need to keep it. I have 2 simple folders.

I has 12 dividers in it and has examples, templates and activities that i always do every year either they are seasonal or part of one of the many festivals or for things like Road Safety week or Walk to school week that always happen at the same time.

The other is just a folder where I put information about any other activities that I do or have done or have seen and fancy doing in the future.

I cull these folders every year and only have these two. They are standard A4 ring binders.

They are not child specific and plans I make for an individual child may be noted in a LJ and is usually as a next step or to follow the interest of that child so that planning goes when the child does.

rickysmiths
17-05-2013, 12:20 PM
We just have no spare space in our house to keep stuff!
We had our loft turned into a 3rd bedroom several years ago,so only have the cupboard under the stairs and anywhere else i can find to squeeze stuff!
My CM paperwork (the confidential stuff) all goes in a filing cabinet in the conservatory-but after caring for 37 children over the past 10 years or so,its getting a bit full!
.....looks like hubby will have to sacrifice a bit of shed space......wish me luck!

lisa I have lost count of the number of children I have cared for in 18 years but honestly when the essential info is put in plastic wallets in the really cheap plastic folders it doesn't take up that much room. I don't have a filing cabinet I just have a table top lockable metal filing box with only my current children and ones who have left in the preceding 6 months. After that it is filed in the loft.

Maybe one of those plastic under bed boxes would help?

kellyskidz!
17-05-2013, 12:31 PM
You don't need to write down any planning and you certainly don't need to keep it. I have 2 simple folders.

I has 12 dividers in it and has examples, templates and activities that i always do every year either they are seasonal or part of one of the many festivals or for things like Road Safety week or Walk to school week that always happen at the same time.

The other is just a folder where I put information about any other activities that I do or have done or have seen and fancy doing in the future.

I cull these folders every year and only have these two. They are standard A4 ring binders.

They are not child specific and plans I make for an individual child may be noted in a LJ and is usually as a next step or to follow the interest of that child so that planning goes when the child does.

Why do I waste hours planning then lol?! AND it was one of the first things Mrs Ofsted asked to see 'hi, can I see your planning' Because its my first year I'm going to do as you say and keep a monthly example until the year begins again then start over. Thanks for advice!

Tealady
17-05-2013, 02:25 PM
I like the idea of keeping a photo too Rickysmiths. Never would have thought of that.

ziggy
17-05-2013, 02:32 PM
makes me smile when i read these threads as i can see me taking required paperwork to the old people's home with me :laughing:

I am taking on 2 new babies soon, i will be 72 when they are 21, I cant remember what day it is now, so who knows if i will remember any of my mindees when i'm in my 70's.

littlemiss60561
18-05-2013, 11:46 PM
makes me smile when i read these threads as i can see me taking required paperwork to the old people's home with me :laughing:

I am taking on 2 new babies soon, i will be 72 when they are 21, I cant remember what day it is now, so who knows if i will remember any of my mindees when i'm in my 70's.

Lol we will have to ensure the home we end up in has a locable filling cabinet in our rooms!