PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on my first family wanting to sign up!

Goldilocks
16-05-2013, 02:24 PM
So I had my first family round on Monday and they have come back and said they would like to sign up. Originally it was for 1 child 4y start September before and after school which was fine. She then comes round with 2 children. 4y and 2y old. She said they have a childminder at the mo but come Sep she won't be able to do drop off and pick up at the school. They have just moved to my village from a few miles away so currently still using their current childminder.

I was happy to keep a place open for 1x before and after school but to keep a full time place as well from 8-530 open for just over 4 months is quite a long time and poss loss of money for me!

Would you hold a place open for this long and if so what would you charge to hold it? I originally said I require 1 month payment to hold the place and that's when she mentioned that her 2y old will be coming as well! I currently do not have any children on my books as just set up.

Any advice would be great! :)

scottishlass
16-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Hi

I would be reluctant to turn away a full time space even if its a few months away - I am not really clued up on retainers as never needed to do one but could you maybe say will provisionally keep the space for her but if you become full and that is your only space left and you have an enquiry that she would then have to pay a retainer to keep the space? Xx

Koala
16-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Firstly - It's a bit presumptuous that she assumed you would take on the 2 yr old too, but if this isn't a problem go for it and well done at getting business.
Secondly - try and find out her who her previous childminder is to help 'aid transition' maybe you could meet up.
Thirdly - why doesn't she just switch over now instead of waiting till September when school starts - too many new things can have an adverse effect on children.
If she were to start asap this will give you a chance to bond with the children and establish their needs as it is difficult juggling school drop offs with new young children.

I am always dubious when folk swap childminders as generally there is an issue, not that it may effect you, but forwarned is forearmed.

I would definitely take a four week non refundable deposit to secure the place but I would push for care to start asap allow a month for her to give notice to other childminder and then consider charging a 50% retainer if she doesn't want to do this, she has the option then to either start with you or pay the retainer, this will prompt definite decisions and commitment if she is serious.

Good luck and well done on getting your first family. :thumbsup: