PDA

View Full Version : Chasing money!

Donnadoobie
16-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Two new children started 5 weeks ago and one of the children is , let's say, a challenge. After 2 weeks she paid me for the two weeks and asked could she pay me weekly, I said yes I would accept weekly payments in arrears or monthly in advance. First invoice sent and I had to ask for payment and she said she didn't have money so I carried to the next week. Last week she came with a sob story of how she was waiting for an invoice to be paid and that she couldn't get her money from the building society as a cheque hadn't cleared. Payment for 3 weeks is due today so my husband phoned her this morning to ask for money. She said she would pay but that she was struggling to make ends meet at the moment. Now I know that probably is the case BUT she is receiving tax credits which she is obviously spending on other things and really, if you can't afford childcare then don't use it. I know she is in the wrong and I will enforce this as it is very early days and I don't want to get in the habit of carrying money over and end up with a debt of £1000, but why is it that I feel bad for asking her and feel sorry for her?

Rick
16-05-2013, 03:52 PM
.....it's because we are human and feel sorry for people who may be having a hard time of it. But that is no excuse. People shouldn't use childcare if they are going to struggle to pay for it. You should perhaps have asked for money in advance: no money=no childcare.

I personally have never had a problem despite asking for money in arrears. I only have three parents, one is my wife's friend, one came from a childminder friend who left town and said they paid on time and the other was a lovely lady and I could 'tell' she would pay me on time.

I think you should put your business hat on and take your understanding hat off. You cannot offer care for free, she may end up with so much debt she can never afford to pay you.

marnieb
16-05-2013, 03:58 PM
I'm sorry but I would get tough now, I think it will get worse the longer you let it go on.

Tell her she has the weekend to get sorted, and has to pay what she owes by Monday morning or you are withholding care.

sarah707
16-05-2013, 04:52 PM
What does your fees policy say?

I only accept children when I've been paid - money up front - and if it's late I don't offer care until I have been paid.

Check what you have agreed with parents and take it from there.

If you are unsure your insurance company might be able to advise you.

hugs x

Koala
16-05-2013, 05:07 PM
I'm sorry but I would get tough now, I think it will get worse the longer you let it go on.

Tell her she has the weekend to get sorted, and has to pay what she owes by Monday morning or you are withholding care.

Yes, this is what I would do too, but you may find that you just never see her again, so type up a letter advising her of legal recoup of monies owed and hand it to her tomorrow, advise that in future you are willing to work with her but childcare will have to be paid for in advance and that you carrying on allowing her to build up a debt is not helping her financial situation.

Good luck and I feel for you. But its time to sort it out. :thumbsup:

natalieatk
16-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Phone her and ask for your money oweing and make her aware that claiming for childcare and not paying the provider is benefit fraud and you will have no option to report her if she dosent pay up, your public liability insurance will cover you and can take things to court so suggest to the parent that this is the action you will take unless she pays up, I assume you have already stopped the child care, if not tell her no more care til your paid x

CLL
16-05-2013, 06:23 PM
Does your husband child mind with you? If not he shouldn't really be ringing her to pay you. I wouldn't call I would put it down in writing how much she owes you and when she needs to pay by. State that you can provide no more care until monies have been brought up to date. You will then continue with care taking payment on the Friday for the following weeks care. No money no care. Advise her that if she decides to terminate the contract that she still owes x amount of money and it needs to be paid by x or else you will need to inform your insurance company who will recover your money from her. Good luck.

Donnadoobie
17-05-2013, 07:26 AM
Thanks everyone.

Firstly, yes my husband is registered too, although is not always on the premises as he works, he is involved in the business and the parents all know him well.

Yesterday she arrived with the offer of a cheque and that she could give me cash today or Monday. I accepted this and said when I received cash I would tear up the cheque, to which she said that she wanted me to keep it in case this situation ever arose again.

The woman is in the process of setting up a business but not operational yet and I do understand that funds are low, so I explained that I needed her to pay now so as not to run up a huge bill. She understood this and said that she didn't want to lose me but things were difficult at the moment. She said she would pay me on Wednesdays as Tuesday is when she gets tax credits paid.

I am an experienced childminder with 15 years under my belt and previously worked as a social worker, so believe me I really have heard it all when it comes to excuses and have only ever had 2 people really give me serious problems with money after caring for 45+ over the last 15 years so not a bad record!

I really do feel that this woman is genuine and going through a rough time, partner is just about to leave too. The children I care for are school age and she wants me to have her baby when I have space so she really doesn't need to upset the apple cart! She asked if I would keep the place open if she was unable to pay for a while and I said no I couldn't because I could fill her space 3 times over, she may go onto a retainer.

Feel a little better, I have a cheque and although that may bounce feel that we both know where we stand. She is going to speak to Tax credits to see what the situation is regarding her partner leaving and we can then decide the best plan for her together. I don't want to be taken advantage of but I'm not heartless person either!

Donnadoobie
17-05-2013, 08:49 AM
Update.

Me her outside school and she was on the way to the cashpoint to check if money was in her account and said she would drop money off if it was. Expecting the worst I went home and made mental plans to start battle. 10 minutes later she knocked on door with cash + £5 towards next week! think we may have sorted things. Big relief I didn't have to get nasty

Rick
17-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Update.

Me her outside school and she was on the way to the cashpoint to check if money was in her account and said she would drop money off if it was. Expecting the worst I went home and made mental plans to start battle. 10 minutes later she knocked on door with cash + £5 towards next week! think we may have sorted things. Big relief I didn't have to get nasty

Sounds like progress. Let's hope it's not one step forward and two steps back when the next monies are due!

wendywu
17-05-2013, 12:37 PM
Good news, at last she is now back on a level footing with you. So she should pay weekly in advance, on the monday morning for that week :thumbsup: