PDA

View Full Version : health visitor not understanding childminders - so cross!!

vals
16-05-2013, 12:46 PM
A child I look after was 2 in January, I did his 2 year check and went through it all with the parents. There are some causes for concern which I have been talking to the parents about but they decided to wait for the health visitor check. So today he had his 2 + check - they took with them the 2 year check I did, the most recent next steps, and an A4 page of additional information I had written that I hoped would be helpful.
The result, referral to speech and language - I have been saying this for ages now. Then 'why don't you send him to a pre school'!!! I am so cross. Mum was good, she said her eldest stayed with me and no pre school and did fine and that she was happy with me, but it has put doubts in her mind.What I want to know is what do they think he would get from there that he doesn't get with me. It was almost implying that his problem is because he comes to a childminder. :angry:

supermumy
16-05-2013, 12:52 PM
I know it of health visitors etc are really boosting for the 2yr funding places in pre schools etc
Maybe it was just that :)

Koala
16-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Don't get cross Vals its not you its the system.

Funny how it takes till the child is 2+ for 'them' to do anything about it when you have advised this prior, but it's the same old, same old, we put our trust in 'professionals' and we are still underestimated and undervalued as professionals.

I had a parent trying to access the 2 year funding for her child which was suggested from an ill advised health visitor who suggested him going into a nursery.
In the first instance the parent was no where near qualified to get 2yr funding which made her feel even worse and in the second instance a nursery would have made the whole problem worse for the whole family. It makes my blood boil :angry:

Furthermore I agree with supermummy 'the system' is referring 2yr funders to settings and not individual childminders where they would be better suited.

It all seems to be about the system and not the individual child - in my opinion.

Nothing new there though in a country that groups children with a whole years span in age into one year group in schools and expects them to keep up with each other to sit exams!!! with no second chances.

sarah707
16-05-2013, 04:59 PM
I would pop round to see the health visitors during their next session at the Children's Centre - introduce myself and explain a little bit about who I am and how much I interact with the children etc.

Yes it's the system - but I think that education is half the battle :D

vals
16-05-2013, 07:36 PM
thank for replies, calmer now. Going to speak to mum again and will then invite the HV to the childminding toddler group and to my setting where she can observe him and me. Wonder if she will take up the offer.

MessybutHappy
16-05-2013, 07:49 PM
I wonder if its also a reflection of the fact that childminders tend to id and "fix" many issues themselves so there's no need for any outside involvement which effectively hides us away? I suppose I mean, if we had more children with problems that needed hv intervention then the hv's would know about us... also nurseries have a health visitor assigned to them - as far as I know, we childminders don't?

To a hv, a nursery is a more familiar place to interact with and "trade their wares"!!!

(Correct me if I'm wrong, oh wise ones!)

karensmart4
16-05-2013, 08:04 PM
I know how you feel... I tried to speak to a Hv about a child I was worried about and she fobbed me off as if I didn't know what I was talking about :panic:

Perhaps the one you are dealing with will take you up on your invite and you can educate her :thumbsup:

Mrsjackson
16-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Never met a HIV where I currently work (day nursery) and don't think they're bothered about us doing the 2 year check either!

A young mum came in today and said her HV was concerned the almost 2 year old wasn't interacting with children his age!! Of course I told mum the HV didn't know what she was talking about and how she came to that conclusion I don't know, he comes to nursery 2 half days a week and does what is expected for his age, playing alongside. Admittedly he is very clingy to me and his Keyperson but that goes to show our strong bond we have. Poor mum is shy and must have been worrying her for her to tell us, silly HV says she may need to send round a nursery nurse, ermm why!? We are right here doing our jobs, leave us to it love thanks!

watgem
17-05-2013, 06:44 AM
I was sat next to a nursery manager at a meeting for allocation of funding due to our area being disadvantaged, my own hv completely blanked me and told the manager she always recommends prospective parents to her nursery:angry:the poor lady was very embarrassed, this same hv gives us no feedback about the 2 year checks, despite being asked politely by us....I still dont think that some of them are aware of the common core and joined up working

jackie 7
17-05-2013, 07:27 AM
One of our hv tells parents cms are better for young children. 2yr check is so brief and my report not looked at. Even the one I was so worried about.

dawn100
17-05-2013, 09:57 AM
I'm currently doing a speech and language course run by speech therapists and interestingly they say that in larger settings a child with speech problems can go unnoticed and can find large settings overwhelming, it's not as simple as a child hearing other children talk they need to be encourage to respond and have conversations (even coversations of babbling is benefical) which is generally easier as a childminder as we work on lower ratios.