PDA

View Full Version : Let the best man win

bindy
14-05-2013, 08:32 PM
I guess this must happen all the time, but what happens when your childminding friends see the same families as you? Is this talked about openly?

Mouse
14-05-2013, 08:48 PM
We have a close childminding group here and often families will visit a few of us.

We do talk about it, but only in as much as saying they've been to see us. We don't quiz each other on what was said, what we've offered them, what rate we're charging etc.

When we know who the family is going to we let each other know. And we do congratulate the childminder who gets the family...even if you do want to scratch their eyes out :laughing:

The Juggler
14-05-2013, 08:50 PM
we are always open and honest here if we know we are seeing the same parents. usually the parents decision is down to location or price so there is never any hard feeling as we all understand parents need the most convenient drop offs and look to save their pennies.

sarah707
14-05-2013, 09:18 PM
We often share info about our vacancies - so it follows that we know when parents are 'doing the rounds'.

We support each other, sending parents to friends and checking who has vacancies in the playground.

It's funny when you see a child whose parents you have interviewed with a friend... we can't gel with every family :D

bindy
15-05-2013, 05:53 AM
I don't know why, but I feel bad if I know a friend is seeing the same family. I have cancelled meetings in the past, but you guys are right, it comes down to personal choice and one may be able to offer something the other can not. Also my friend(s), may not jel with the family. Don't think I will cancel in the future!

Daisy De
15-05-2013, 06:05 AM
This has happened to me a few times, I would always be honest different children suit different settings, if I thought they would be better off elsewhere I would probably say, not good for my business though :laughing: But it has worked the other way too.

LittleRhino
15-05-2013, 06:20 AM
We have got a good group of CMs here. I have only lived here 3 1/2 months and when I moved in I got told there was a CM 10 doors down (arrrr) but it has worked great for me she gave a parent my details as she could not help them and I have my first full time mindee (Mon-Fri 7-5). Was very greatfull to her but if we all get called and see parents we are all focused on what the parents want and whats best for the mindee so no hard feelings x

Kiddleywinks
15-05-2013, 06:28 AM
I have a neighbour who also childminds and touch wood, it's not been a problem.
Not to say I wasn't a little concerned at the start being so close, but we offer different things so I'm happy to pass along her details.

Parents will choose who they like so no point taking it personally