PDA

View Full Version : Childminders and agencies - the story so far...

sarah707
14-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Here is the first in a series of blogs -

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/blogs/sarah707/60-childminders-agencies-story-so-far.html

This first one looks at the history behind why agencies are coming... and why I think they ARE coming... and why I think we need to stop worrying about them and what they will or won't do... and what they will or won't offer... because we DO NOT need them.

Instead we need to focus on preparing ourselves for the future.

It has been written with input from a lot of different sources - all of whom agree with me that agencies have been a fait accompli for a long time now.

My next blogs in the series will look at how you can be proactive - stop all the worrying and negativity - and prepare yourself for independence :cheerleader:

We can do this if we all work together! :clapping: Please let me know if there is anything you want me to research for you :D

Rick
14-05-2013, 06:52 PM
What a great blog Sarah.

I agree with what you say here:

We need to be responsible for our own businesses - our CPD, our paperwork, our sustainability and ultimately our own success. We do not need agencies to help us continue doing the amazing jobs we are already doing!

I have never had my own business before or childminded before but I've still managed to do well at both (I think!). I've just filed my tax return (never thought I'd be able to do that!), been graded good on my first inspection-didn't need anyone's help (other than on this fabulous forum!). I certainly don't need someone else telling me what I need to do, I can make my own decisions!

We don't need agencies. We just need to get together and help each other!

linda2girls
14-05-2013, 07:15 PM
Very interesting reading and nice to have to story so far, I can't keep up with it all .........

Thank you Sarah,
Linda.

Ripeberry
14-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the links. I've requested to join the Facebook group :thumbsup:

lynnecowan
14-05-2013, 08:22 PM
Thank you for summing it up! Xxx

lizann
14-05-2013, 08:22 PM
read and just joined the face book page

Simona
14-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Don't forget to link Facebook to the forum so we can stay in touch, share and support

Preparing for the future...yes that is the only focus and has been since we started talking about agencies...I remember saying over and over again to stay positive!!
We know very little about agencies, where they will be or who leads them or if they will be a success...we need to prove that Ofsted and DfE are wrong and cms are high quality and serious about delivering it and able to run our businesses without interference...I think in some cases there has been enough from LAs

We now know that 'childcare hubs' are the reality...I doubt there is any going back on those as the funding is over two years and the charities behind them very reputable

We need to learn more about them, how they operate, where, who is in charge of the cms in them...so that is what we need to look out for now and research as much as possible

sarah707
14-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Don't forget to link Facebook to the forum so we can stay in touch, share and support

Preparing for the future...yes that is the only focus and has been since we started talking about agencies...I remember saying over and over again to stay positive!!
We know very little about agencies, where they will be or who leads them or if they will be a success...we need to prove that Ofsted and DfE are wrong and cms are high quality and serious about delivering it and able to run our businesses without interference...I think in some cases there has been enough from LAs

We now know that 'childcare hubs' are the reality...I doubt there is any going back on those as the funding is over two years and the charities behind them very reputable

We need to learn more about them, how they operate, where, who is in charge of the cms in them...so that is what we need to look out for now and research as much as possible

I am already answering concerned questions from childminders on FB about how agencies will affect them.

There are worries about how independent childminders will be frozen out by agencies taking over... how independent childminders will continue offering extended services like the 2 year funding without LA support...

Lots of things are worrying people and it's great to be able to reach out to a new and different group of childminders - and link them back to the forum so they can share the support we offer here.

All roads lead back to the forum! :D

wendywu
14-05-2013, 08:39 PM
That makes me feel a bit calmer thanks Sarah and i have also joined the facebook group. :thumbsup:

The Juggler
14-05-2013, 08:47 PM
great Blog Sarah :thumbsup:

loocyloo
14-05-2013, 08:52 PM
brilliant sarah, well done.:clapping:

i'm not on facebook, so i hope all information is continued to be shared here and on the new independent childminder website.

is there/will there be a flier or something i can print off and give to other childminders about the website etc ... i can talk till i am blue in the face, but giving people a piece of paper they seem to take more notice! i guess they then think it's not just me talking nonsense:rolleyes:

sarah707
14-05-2013, 08:57 PM
brilliant sarah, well done.:clapping:

i'm not on facebook, so i hope all information is continued to be shared here and on the new independent childminder website.

is there/will there be a flier or something i can print off and give to other childminders about the website etc ... i can talk till i am blue in the face, but giving people a piece of paper they seem to take more notice! i guess they then think it's not just me talking nonsense:rolleyes:

That's a good idea! I will talk to Pauline she is designing the website - and doing a fab job! :clapping:

Don't worry - everything will feed back to the forum - FB is just one more place to share and inform and include and find new forum members hehehehehe! :D

Petshrinklj
14-05-2013, 10:00 PM
Thank you for that. I found that helpful to read as I wasn't really sure what all this agency and ndependent childminder was about. Things are a bit learner now. None of this was mentioned at my pre reg briefing in march.