PDA

View Full Version : I have a thrower.....!

Supernanny86
14-05-2013, 03:39 PM
How do you deal with the throw-er I've tried everything I can think of. I've resigned myself to that fact ill just have to wait for him to grow out of it!! But it INFURIATES me!! His twin sits and plays with blocks, stacking them and he'll just come and trash it. It's not just his twins stuff, it's everything!! I can't afford for him to hit his brother with anything as he still has his soft spot although they're 20m!! Any advice please?!

*daisychain*
14-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Just prob what you are already doing , lots and lots of outdoor play with balls , beanbags, paper planes and soft throwing things , for him to throw and lots if repeating that we do not throw inside. I feel your pain, my son is just growing out of it , I know how important it is for his development but there is only so much you can take. On the plus side he is amazing at playing frisbee at the tender age of 3 !

The Juggler
14-05-2013, 09:22 PM
lots of soft missiles in the house, squishy balls and bean bags. if he likes knocking down others' towers, maybe build them for him to knock down.

use a basket or washing basket and get him to throw things in it. or a pop up tent with holes for him to throw things into?

not sure how old? but it's a tricky stage teaching them the difference between knocking down ANY tower children are building and those that are built for them to knock down. My mindee 4 is very sweet and does this for her sister often, but then when she is engaged in building for her own purposes she has her little sister come by and knock them down. She now knows to transport the blocks to the kitchen table - bless her.

jackie 7
14-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Ok yes I know throwing is s schematic but can all of us who are my age yes ore dinosaurs remember what we said. It was no, no throwing toys etc. how things change. Yes give opportunities to throw but I like to teach that there is a time and place. Yes throw the right toys but not other toys. Children are not stupid they can learn the difference between toys.

Supernanny86
14-05-2013, 11:36 PM
Ok yes I know throwing is s schematic but can all of us who are my age yes ore dinosaurs remember what we said. It was no, no throwing toys etc. how things change. Yes give opportunities to throw but I like to teach that there is a time and place. Yes throw the right toys but not other toys. Children are not stupid they can learn the difference between toys.

Sees that what I think! I've given him plenty of opportunities to play throwing stuff like suggested but somehow think its given him a green light to throw anything!

When I say no I mean no!! But he'll carry on chucking!! He'll pick anything up and throw it, like his little chair!! Obviously I don't mind him throwing the balls etc but don't know how to stop him throwing other stuff! It's so annoying and disruptive!! He just trashes everything!! Lost count of the toys he's chucked and broke! They're only 20months but he's a big strong lad!

I've been off for a week and wonder if he's testing me again, parents aren't as strict so maybe he's just getting used to my rules again!! It's like "why do I bother?!" This job is hard at times :(

The Juggler
15-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Sees that what I think! I've given him plenty of opportunities to play throwing stuff like suggested but somehow think its given him a green light to throw anything!

When I say no I mean no!! But he'll carry on chucking!! He'll pick anything up and throw it, like his little chair!! Obviously I don't mind him throwing the balls etc but don't know how to stop him throwing other stuff! It's so annoying and disruptive!! He just trashes everything!! Lost count of the toys he's chucked and broke! They're only 20months but he's a big strong lad!

I've been off for a week and wonder if he's testing me again, parents aren't as strict so maybe he's just getting used to my rules again!! It's like "why do I bother?!" This job is hard at times :(

absolutely you have to teach what is safe and appropriate to throw. How old is he hon. Def. with a schema he might need reminding frequently what he can throw but if you say no and he continues to throw hard objects then, def. some thinking time or remove the toy/object with warning.

phoenix2010
15-05-2013, 01:21 PM
can you have a throwing basket/box and everything that lives in there is ok to throw
and anything that doesnt is not ok to throw

i recently looked after another minders mindee 15m old and he threw everything , food too

and liked hitting me in the face too

so I just give a firm "no" when he throws things he shouldnt

as long as there is an option of things they can throw , I think they start to know the difference

Supernanny86
16-05-2013, 10:15 AM
I've tried different boxes, one with stuff to throw one lot not. These kids constantly threw food etc on the floor but they soon got the message when they went hungry as to me food on the floor means your hungry no more!!!

I'm thinking ill just have to continue with the no's, time out if he persists!! It's annoying but they won't win!! :) :P