PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned buggies!!!

14-05-2013, 07:46 AM
Does anyone else have this problem??? One of my new mindees mum has started bringing her LO in a pram and then leaving it at my house :(. The problem is I just don't have anywhere to store it and at the moment it's sitting in my living room :(.

catlyn
14-05-2013, 07:55 AM
I have told all of my mums that I have no room for storing prams/buggies as I have plenty of my own...if they bring them they need to provide a cover for it as it will stay in the garden all day regardless of the weather ( needless to say no one leaves them any more) the same goes for car seats...I have several in various sizes so I will provide them for LO's.....the only exception I make is if its a tiny baby in a car seat that can be carried

Koala
14-05-2013, 08:11 AM
You cant be having dirty pram wheels in your living room, it's not fair.

As has been said, tell parents it needs to stay outside so bring a rain cover or it will get wet. Simple.

singingcactus
14-05-2013, 08:31 AM
I've had this a few times over the years. If I only have one child in a pram then that is fine, but I tell parents that I will be using their pram if they leave it, which means toddlers will be holding it with their sticky fingers, and bags will be going into the shopping basket. If I have more than one child needing a pram I tell them to take theirs home with them or risk leaving it out the front of the house -at their own risk- with the possibility of weather damage, theft from passers by, and cat pee all over it.

I just tell them simply I don't store prams, pushchairs, pushbikes, scooters or any other large items they fancy bringing. I don't go into reasons, I just tell them I don't store their kit.

If it is a really compact umbrella fold buggy, with no rain cover and an empty basket I might be willing to store it in the cupboard if the parent has no option but to bring a pram.

Mouse
14-05-2013, 08:39 AM
I do have a couple of parents who walk to me for drop off, then get the bus to work. They need to leave their buggies here.

I do have the room to leave them in my hall (I only ever have one or 2 here at a time) and that's what i did until recently. Unfortunately one of them starting coming stinking of smoke. It smelt the whole house out. I did a new pushchair policy saying that while I was happy for parents to leave their pushchair here, there was no longer room for them indoors & they would be outside from now on. They are left through the gate at the side of the house, so not in anyone's way. The gate is locked, so they should be secure. I say they must have a raincover on them at all times as I'm not going to run outside in the rain to cover them up! So far it's working well.

If the buggy is causing you problems indoors (and I certainly wouldn't have one in my living room), either ask parents to take it away with them, or tell them to provide a raincover & chain for them to secure it outside somewhere.

jackie 7
14-05-2013, 08:44 AM
I had that problem in London. I made parents leave their buggy outside after I tripped over their buggy in the hall. Said other tennant complained and a fire risk. Dad then forced open my buggy store and broke latch. I so disliked that set of parents.

Tazmin68
14-05-2013, 11:04 AM
I have a problem in that I have one child arrive in buggy and parent leaves it. But then I have to use car and double buggy for school run and I have to put child's own buggy also in the car as I meet dad in the car park close to school. The problem I will have is that in the good weather the children like to walk home from school but we won't be able to as I cannot push a double buggy to and from school plus carry the child's single buggy so that I can hand child and his buggy to dad after school.

lynncjt
14-05-2013, 11:10 AM
I do have a couple of parents who walk to me for drop off, then get the bus to work. They need to leave their buggies here.

I do have the room to leave them in my hall (I only ever have one or 2 here at a time) and that's what i did until recently. Unfortunately one of them starting coming stinking of smoke. It smelt the whole house out. I did a new pushchair policy saying that while I was happy for parents to leave their pushchair here, there was no longer room for them indoors & they would be outside from now on. They are left through the gate at the side of the house, so not in anyone's way. The gate is locked, so they should be secure. I say they must have a raincover on them at all times as I'm not going to run outside in the rain to cover them up! So far it's working well.

If the buggy is causing you problems indoors (and I certainly wouldn't have one in my living room), either ask parents to take it away with them, or tell them to provide a raincover & chain for them to secure it outside somewhere.

I've just had the same problem! Mindee stared yesterday and Mum walks to and from my house - I said she could leave buggy in my lobby, but had to tell her on pickup that it would have to go home with her as the lobby was stinking of smoke! I can't stand the smell and it gave a very bad impression to anybody coming into the house!

wendywu
14-05-2013, 11:19 AM
My parents buggies are locked behind the side gate , with raincovers on. No way would i store thm in my house :panic:

sarak31
14-05-2013, 11:38 AM
I had this too - I bought a cheap small bike store that sits at the end of my drive and they leave them in there.

mrs robbie williams
14-05-2013, 11:41 AM
My front garden often resembles a buggy park! My double and mindee 17m comes I his everyday and mum leaves it there and then so another single once a week from another mindee !! I don't bring them in just put raincover over parents know this x

Tazmin68
14-05-2013, 11:53 AM
If you leave a buggy outside a house round here it is likely to be taken away by scrap metal van. Things get taken in a matter of minutes. At my youngest sons pre school which was in the basement of a church. The only access was down a narrow path and one mum left her travel system at the top carried baby in car seat and took older child into pre school an she came out the travel system had gone.

I would be tempted to o same as Wendy but the gate is also a fire exit so cannot do that.

SammySplodger
14-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Well I don't have this problem, but I do have to store my own buggies in my living room... No hallway, front door straight onto the street, kitchen & access to garden is downstairs. Not practical to use that really due to stairs.

I am careful not to bring in any obvious mud / dog poo and wash this off outside the house. I have a carpet runner inside front door which gets washed regularly.

No other choice for me really... but at least they are my own buggies.

natalieatk
14-05-2013, 12:12 PM
I have a problem in that I have one child arrive in buggy and parent leaves it. But then I have to use car and double buggy for school run and I have to put child's own buggy also in the car as I meet dad in the car park close to school. The problem I will have is that in the good weather the children like to walk home from school but we won't be able to as I cannot push a double buggy to and from school plus carry the child's single buggy so that I can hand child and his buggy to dad after school.

Tell them the days you will be working and explain youl need to come collect the buggy. You shouldn't have to work round parents

cathtee
14-05-2013, 01:06 PM
If you leave a buggy outside a house round here it is likely to be taken away by scrap metal van. Things get taken in a matter of minutes. At my youngest sons pre school which was in the basement of a church. The only access was down a narrow path and one mum left her travel system at the top carried baby in car seat and took older child into pre school an she came out the travel system had gone.

I would be tempted to o same as Wendy but the gate is also a fire exit so cannot do that.

I was reading the posts and was going to say about scrapman then read your post funnily enough I'm from birmingham too, doesn't say much for the town does it:laughing:

jackie 7
14-05-2013, 01:35 PM
I have bike locks for all my buggies. Even in the locked bike store I lock it up.