View Full Version : Question

13-05-2013, 08:11 PM
I'm currently waiting to see if I've been successful in getting into the childminding course scheduled for July.
I work in a nursery and have one child and had been thinking of trying for baby no 2 this year but then decided to start childminding first.

However I can't help thinking I would be silly to take children on and then lose them again if I fell pregnant, doesn't make sense business wise plus I already have a job I can have maternity leave with.

My question is...

Can I register as a childminder then wait until have had baby no 2 before advertising and starting my new business? I could advertise whilst on leave and get everything needed ready. Also how long after registering do you need to redo the course etc?

Don't want to start something then have to redo it all again if I can help it!


13-05-2013, 08:40 PM
I believe that if you dont childmind for a period of 2 years then your registration gets cancelled. x You could take maternity leave as a cm as well as long as your NI payments are met.

13-05-2013, 10:31 PM
From completing the course to being registered can take six months or more, I wouldn't delay registering after completing the course as that is when they can move the goalposts, but once you are registered your in a much better position, and as bugsiemoo said if you don't childmind for two years thats when they can cancel your registration, so with the course, registration process and the two years, that gives you a fair amount of time. X

14-05-2013, 07:47 AM
If you happen to have three early years children (including your first child) and have another child you would not have to give up any of your contracted children under continuity of care BUT you cannot take on any new business. If you had two children of your own and your current contracted children left you would be left with one space left.

14-05-2013, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone, I knew someone would help!:thumbsup:

Some great replies and some I hadn't thought about. I think I will continue with the course and getting registered, do some calculations on which route is better financially to start with and have a proper think about what it is I want first! Baby or business or both :laughing: