PDA

View Full Version : Car seats illegal

Keeley77
13-05-2013, 12:40 PM
Does any one know whether there is law that states that children can't travel in their correct car seat in the front passenger seat?

A parent has just said to me that its illegal??

I'm pretty sure the law says you can't take a baby in a reverse facing car seat unless the airbag has been switched off.

Mrs Pootle
13-05-2013, 12:45 PM
This website has all the details about car seats https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules/overview

:)

AliceK
13-05-2013, 12:47 PM
No it's not illegal. As long as a child is in the correct car seat they can sit anywhere. I have to use my front seat sometimes. I usually push the seat back as far as I am able and put the eldest child in the front.

xxxx

clareelizabeth1
13-05-2013, 01:10 PM
My car manual states I can have a car seat in front as long as it is forward facing I can have a rear facing one in fount as long as I turn off air bags. Some cars you can't turn off air bags though so check what your car says.

Keeley77
13-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Thank you...made me panic for a bit!!! :panic:

hectors house
13-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Was this parent trying to tell you that she doesn't want her child in a car seat in the front of your car - some people can be funny about it - I generally ask parents, it only happens on the day I have 4 children - child either sits in front on a booster seat with a back on it or we don't go out! Most of my parents turn up with the child in front seat which I don't agree with if other spaces are available in the back, so for me is a last resort.

CM59
13-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Was this parent trying to tell you that she doesn't want her child in a car seat in the front of your car - some people can be funny about it - I generally ask parents, it only happens on the day I have 4 children - child either sits in front on a booster seat with a back on it or we don't go out! Most of my parents turn up with the child in front seat which I don't agree with if other spaces are available in the back, so for me is a last resort.

I've seen parents arriving at my neighbours house who is also a CM with kids either sitting on their laps in the FRONT seat! Or jumping about along the back seats with no belts on! It beggars belief!

ziggy
13-05-2013, 03:49 PM
I had this with a parent i used to mind for, i gave her child a lift home to his new childminder and she wasnt happy her child was in the front. He was the largest child and on a booster seat.

There are lots of websites available if you want to prove it to a parent.

I only use front seat if other 3 seats are in use