I read somewhere that you can claim for a portion of your rent each month

can you do the same with a mortgage?
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

wendywu
04-07-2008, 03:08 PM
No i was told that you cannot do this.

Pudding Girl
04-07-2008, 03:32 PM
unf not :mad: I really don't see why tbh.

wendywu
04-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Something to do with if you did manage to claim it the tax man could slap you for capital gains tax when you come to sell your house. Because you are getting tax relief on something that you can sell for a profit. An accountant could explain it better.:mad:

donnahay0
04-07-2008, 05:10 PM
I was told that you could claim a percentage of your mortgage but only if you use a room solely for the purpose of childminding. This is the same for a cleaner - you could only claim for the cleaning of that room and not the rest of your house. I don't quite know how it works but if this was the case then the local tax office will be able to tell you how much. Sorry I don't know anything about the capital gains bit.

I can't claim as I don't have such luxury as to have rooms soley for childminding purposes - perhaps I should come off the mortgage and rent the house off my husband and then I can claim for rent. Doesn't seem fair really does it.

Donkey
04-07-2008, 06:29 PM
meh, i'll just have to find other ways instead.....

anyone fancy serving cavier to the kids lol

buildingblocks
04-07-2008, 07:31 PM
You can change a percentage of rent but not mortgage as has been said something to do with capital gains

But and not much help i know but I know recently I am sure i did read this had changed but i can't find it anywhere for love nor money

Minstrel
04-07-2008, 07:38 PM
I didn't realise we could claim on rent. is this the same way as council tax etc? if so do you know the %.

Love amanda x

Straws
04-07-2008, 07:47 PM
you can claim 10% of your rent, but not on a mortgage due to captial gainS
Straws x

Mollymop
04-07-2008, 10:11 PM
I wish I could claim some of my mortgage back, wouldn't that be good!?