PDA

View Full Version : 2 year check

kims kingdom
11-05-2013, 02:37 PM
please could someone help me...
I have a two year check to do I havent done one before and the child is my first one in early years range I have had her since dec but only for one day for 5hrs in that time i do school pick up and cook tea.
I know where to write the 2yr check what i dont understand is that we are meant to sit done with parents what exactly am i suppose to say do i sit done with lj and talk about that im so confused I so want to do it right but the more I think about it the more I feel like I want to cry if I dont get it right or if I dont say the right things I really want to do this one before my other mindee starts in june who will also need a 2yr check but not till next yr but hopefully I will know what to do when it comes to that one.
Please help
When I became a cm I wanted to look after and provide the best care to all children.
But all the sitting down and writing I find hard sometimes.
Plus still not had my inspection yet (should of been march)
I did submit my SEF form which I worked on for ages and still dont think I prob said enough
thats it all my worries are said if anyone has advice tips be most gratefull

winstonian
11-05-2013, 02:46 PM
I wrote in their daily diaries that i would be doing 2 year checks and would anyone like to see the form or had any info to contribute, no one did so I did the checks and handed them out and said that i would be happy to discuss anything or add anything else in. I handed them out with their learning journeys and received some lovely feedback but no requests to change anything on the 2 year old reports. I know others may do it differently but most of my parents have busy lives and I think they can also get overwhelmed by all the paperwork so I just made sure that they had the opportunity to comment and get involved if they chose to.
hope this helps a bit x

kims kingdom
11-05-2013, 03:46 PM
I wrote in their daily diaries that i would be doing 2 year checks and would anyone like to see the form or had any info to contribute, no one did so I did the checks and handed them out and said that i would be happy to discuss anything or add anything else in. I handed them out with their learning journeys and received some lovely feedback but no requests to change anything on the 2 year old reports. I know others may do it differently but most of my parents have busy lives and I think they can also get overwhelmed by all the paperwork so I just made sure that they had the opportunity to comment and get involved if they chose to.
hope this helps a bit x

Thank you yes it does im so glad ive only got one to do at min x

sarah707
11-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Ask parents to let you know when the child is due their 2 year health visitor check... then explain to them that you are legally required to do your own progress check at the same time along with them.

Ask them in for a meeting and chat about how wonderfully their child is progressing. Ask them for comments and put them, along with some of your own notes taken from your observations, into a 2 year progress check form.

There are sample forms in the 'know how' guide on the EYFS pages here - Foundation Years: From pregnancy to children aged 5 (http://www.foundationyears.org.uk).

There is also some help in free resources on the forum. You do not have to write a lot!! It's just about documenting a quick overview of how the child is getting on - and noting with parents if there are any areas of concern.

Hope this helps. :D

blue bear
11-05-2013, 04:46 PM
The children don't get two year checks here from health visitors, I do mine when I would normally do a six monthly Summative assesment. I complete it and with a yellow felt pen write draft on it so parents can see its not the finished article, I then ask them to either sit with me and read through and make comments or take away and add comments plus pass it to other providers to add comments.
Once everyone has had their say I write it up again with amendments and give one to parents and put a copy on the learning journal.
As my parents are used to getting a Summative assessment twice a year they don't have any surprises with the two year check and are used to adding comments and asking for changes.

kims kingdom
11-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Ask parents to let you know when the child is due their 2 year health visitor check... then explain to them that you are legally required to do your own progress check at the same time along with them.

Ask them in for a meeting and chat about how wonderfully their child is progressing. Ask them for comments and put them, along with some of your own notes taken from your observations, into a 2 year progress check form.

There are sample forms in the 'know how' guide on the EYFS pages here - Foundation Years: From pregnancy to children aged 5 (http://www.foundationyears.org.uk).

There is also some help in free resources on the forum. You do not have to write a lot!! It's just about documenting a quick overview of how the child is getting on - and noting with parents if there are any areas of concern.

Hope this helps. :D
thank you every little helps oops didnt mean to sound like tesco but yes it does help i think all the advice that people give on here helps me more than anything else its quick to type a question on here and get replys from all the lovely people x