PDA

View Full Version : Helping new primary school starters settle...

wisekarla
11-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Hi boys and girls

This is the first time I have posted on here, so a little background for those that may want the detail.

I started childminding in Sept 12 and have so far only looked after under 2's along with my own 2 & 4 year old. Am currently on maternity leave, baby due end June, so am doing some early planning for September when my new contracts kick in.

I have two 4 year olds coming on board who are starting reception year, along with my daughter who also starts school then. Will obviously be a big time for them so want to do what I can to help them settle and to feel some ownership over the changes that are happening to them. Ideas so far include:

- Road safety talk (ideally by a PCO or similar) as we will be walking to school.
- House rules - child led activity to agree how we will all behave together.
- Risk assessment - child led activity.
- Fire drill
- Some kind of underlying theme about 'moving on' - linked into seasonal change - to provide some context for starting school and increasing independence...bit hazy as to how I might do this...

I will hopefully get some information from the school as to what topics they will cover etc, and will need to do some initial observations, but if anyone has any other ideas for September or how I can 'theme' the above I would be very grateful.

Many thanks

Karla
(Also hoping to stay independent!!)

sarah707
11-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Good ideas! :thumbsup:

I usually do an 'all about me' type theme with new starters of that age - talking about hair and eye colour, likes and dislikes, lots of self portraits, photos from home etc.

It helps me get to know the child better and we bond over photos of granny and the family dog.

Hope this helps :D

blue bear
11-05-2013, 04:53 PM
You could do a family tree,one for each child's individual family and a big stay at yours one of the 'childminding family' you could do hand prints that change colour for the seasons.
Mine like doing charts on things that they like or don't like, so food activities etc.