PDA

View Full Version : To cook or not to cook?

benandjerrys
11-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Hi, Can anyone tell me if I have to be registered as a food provider if I just give snacks? I f parents provide food am I able to heat it up? Or can I only refridgerate it? I don't relish the thought of cooking for loads of kids as I have 4 of my own who don't eat the same things and am worried about being able to supervise several young children while im slaving over the cooker. Do you think not providing meals with put parents off? Im not the best of cooks and usually the sound of the smoke alarm signals teas ready:laughing:

clareelizabeth1
11-05-2013, 12:51 PM
I don't provide food and so far it hasn't put any parents off. The often like it as they know what child is eating then.

ziggy
11-05-2013, 01:27 PM
I gave up cooking a long time ago, i have more time with the children and dont get stressed if meals arent eaten.

I've never had a parent complain

Sarsar3NCH
11-05-2013, 01:40 PM
I gave up cooking a few years back too. Those that occasionally want meals provide them to be heated. I have done an online food safety course and registered as a food business but I'm not really sure if it was necessary or not to be honest

Tealady
11-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Unless your children only have tap water whilst at your setting then you still have to register as a food business. It's not as arduous as you may think and you can get online Food safety Training cheaply enough online.

benandjerrys
11-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Unless your children only have tap water whilst at your setting then you still have to register as a food business. It's not as arduous as you may think and you can get online Food safety Training cheaply enough online.

I have already completed my food safety course and am happy to provide snacks but don't really want to be doing food planners or evening meals. If I just provide snacks would I have to do a weekly food planner or is it enough just to write in the daily diary what they have had?

samb
11-05-2013, 04:04 PM
I provide all meals but don't do a meal planner- I don't want to be held to it if I've decided to play longer and don't have time to prepare or if a child is upset and needs me for longer etc. I write in daily diary what has actually been eaten and provide a sample meal planner with some ideas of regular meals in my setting when they first start.

sing-low
12-05-2013, 09:31 PM
I wouldn't do a meal planner just for snacks - too much work and I don't think parents would expect it. Maybe keep a note of what you give them to make sure it's not too repetitive.

benandjerrys
13-05-2013, 09:24 AM
I wouldn't do a meal planner just for snacks - too much work and I don't think parents would expect it. Maybe keep a note of what you give them to make sure it's not too repetitive.

Iv decided to register with the environmental health to provide snacks. I wont be doing evening meals and any holiday children can bring a packed lunch. Thanks for your replies.