PDA

View Full Version : Screwed up, advice please

LittleLegsCM
10-05-2013, 07:24 AM
Morning all,

I've messed up and just want to check if I've covered myself ok.

Got a new schoolie starting next week. Collecting from school and then brother collecting from me at 6. However, being the complete idiot that I am, at the time didn't even think to ask how old the brother was just assumed!!
I found out yesterday he is 15 which is when panic set in that I'd messed up and agreed to it!!

I've asked mum to do me a letter accepting responsibility for the son collecting him and that she's aware of the risks involved etc- please tell me this will be enough to cover me???

Mum will be home by the time they arrive back home so I know they won't be 'home alone' it's just easier for mum if the brother collects and it means its not costing her anymore as it would run into another hour if he stayed here and she collected.

Help!

sarah707
10-05-2013, 07:58 AM
My safeguarding procedures state that I do not allow children to leave with under 16s unless it's the parent.

I have this in place because it was only recently a parent was prosecuted for leaving her little one with a 14 year old -http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12380329

What do your procedures say? x

supermumy
10-05-2013, 08:14 AM
I done safeguarding course yesterday and their is no legal age to leave a child it is down to the parents responibity but as the child is in your care at the time dont think would risk it
How far is home from yours? And how old is the child? :)

Koala
10-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Agree with Sarah707

I understand how it could be thought that if a parent requests this - it should be alright, BUT it isn't and in practice - it is you who is allowing this and as a childcare professional really shouldn't, he is an underage 'child' although he is 15 and probably very competent if anything were to happen it would be your neck on the block, let alone the anxiety every evening of wondering if he has got home ok, just think how bad you would feel if something did happen, safeguard yourself as well as the child and explain this to mum.

I know schools allow this, not sure how old your mindee is, but I would not allow this.

Feel for you it's a tricky one but you have to feel confident that you are doing the right thing. :thumbsup:

Mouse
10-05-2013, 08:50 AM
I have no issues with allowing a 15yr old to collect their younger sibling from me, as long as i have already met them and feel happy handing the child over. It's not so much the age of the person collecting, it's how responsible they are. And it's not as if the older child is caring for the child for any length of tme, merely walking them home.

Stress to parents that once the children have left your care they are the responsibility of the parents, not you. If you want to double check, give your insurance company a call and talk it through with them.

FussyElmo
10-05-2013, 09:46 AM
Its one of those grey areas. My dd who is 14 could quite easily pick her younget siblings up and walk them home. However I wouldnt ask/expect her too as they are not her responsibility.

what time will the 15yo be picking up from you?

How far is their home?

What if he gets sidetracked and is late picking up do you charge late fees?

I wouldnt do it personally as I would worry too much about them getting home. Alright now but what about dark nights.

mummyMia
10-05-2013, 01:54 PM
I would feel a little uncomfortable about this. How much later would the mindee have to stay with you so that the mum would be able to collect herself? If it is not very long could you maybe just charge for half an hour extra instead of a full hour?