PDA

View Full Version : Trancript of Parliament debate on ratio 9 May

Simona
09-05-2013, 05:14 PM
In case you missed it here is the debate...doesn't look like Truss is feeling any pressure to change her mind...so let's put more on...the woman is annoyingly stubborn in the face of research that proves her wrong and she still won't publish Prof Penn's report

Labour has also called for a vote in the House of Commons on ratios

Read - UK Parliament (http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/hansard/commons/todays-commons-debates/read/unknown/108/)

Kiddleywinks
09-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Stubborn - hmmmm, that's one word I suppose

Stapleton83
09-05-2013, 07:08 PM
****** minded would be more my take on it. I think she is using us as a means to get a name for herself irrespective of the consequences.

Sam x

sarah707
09-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Teflon coated - was a description I heard recently.

She must be under stress today though she keeps using the old 'you don't have to use the ratios changes' argument like when she u-turned on agencies and told us 'you don't have to join them' :rolleyes:

Our petition and lobbying is working though so lets keep up the pressure! :cheerleader:

Simona
09-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Listen to Prof Eva Lloyd on BBC...the very first one to say clearly that in France the teachers have assistants! ...so the ratio argument put by Truss is fantasy

BBC Radio 4 - PM, 09/05/2013 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01s8qxy)

Mouse
09-05-2013, 10:04 PM
This bit concerned me a bit:

Philip Davies (Shipley) (Con):
Many parents sending their child to a childminder simply want somewhere that is safe and where their child will be happy while they go out to work. Is it really necessary for childminders to be turned into mini schools for very young children, where those children will be judged on educational attainment rather than on how happy and safe they are?

Elizabeth Truss:
I thank my hon. Friend for his question. Our policies are all about giving parents more choice over the type of child care they receive. I, like him, am very supportive of childminders. Their number halved under the previous Government because of the additional rules and regulations that were put in place and how they were managed.

Of course Truss hasn't answered his question (when does she ever answer any question?), but it does strike me that they are working towards cms being nothing more than carers, with nurseries as the educators.

But nice to see she is very supportive of childminders :rolleyes: