PDA

View Full Version : Babysitter... Swear word to the Childminder.

EmmaReed84
09-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Does anyone else sometimes feel this? LOL

I was talking to someone from America and we got talking about jobs. I said "I am a childminder!" and she replied "A child... minder? Oh you mean babysitter!" Me, "No, childminder, not babysitter!" She said "Well, yeah, babysitter, childminder, same thing isn't it?" I just gave up in the end, but still felt a bit GRRR :angry: LOL.

Kiddleywinks
09-05-2013, 04:50 PM
You could always say, no, its cruel to sit on baby's, I mind them - its safer ;)

Don't take it personally, you can only educate those that are open to learning something lol

sharonmanc
09-05-2013, 04:57 PM
To my American friend and family I have to tell them I run a home day care otherwise they call me a babysitter

Boris
09-05-2013, 05:16 PM
A parent approached me at school the other day and asked me if I was "in the babysitting game for the long haul? only we've been let down so want someone who will stick at it!" Even if I had a space I would have have said I'm full! How rude!!

FussyElmo
09-05-2013, 05:17 PM
They are American just take it as they call football soccer.

Im sure she meant no offence :)

MessybutHappy
09-05-2013, 05:26 PM
And trousers are pants...and I was invited to sit my fanny down...which apparently is bum. That have fanny packs not bum bags.

I'm now wondering if I'm going to get starred out or not!!!

I don't mind what I'm called as long as it's understood that I've jumped through many hoops to get here!!

netty
09-05-2013, 06:15 PM
I have a child whos dad is America after looking after him for 7 years. He use to call me the babysitter in the first 3 years, he now calls me the childminder he is learning:thumbsup:

singingcactus
09-05-2013, 06:55 PM
Doesn't bother me either way. Most people have no idea what a childminder does, so aren't intending to be offensive. If I am talking to Americans, or pretty much any foriegner I refer to myself as a childcare provider, cos most of them have never heard the phrase childminder (I personally hate the word childminder, I don't mind kids, I care for them, teach them, love them.....mind is such a passive word)

My dad sometimes calls me a babysitter cos he thinks it will get a rise from me, but since he is a vicar I just respond in kind. I mean a vicar only works one day a week after all. And then only 10 -11, maybe longer if the ladies make him a pot of tea with biscuits!

Don't worry about others, just be the best babysitter/childminder/childcare provider you can be.

emma04
09-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Doesn't bother me either way. Most people have no idea what a childminder does, so aren't intending to be offensive. If I am talking to Americans, or pretty much any foriegner I refer to myself as a childcare provider, cos most of them have never heard the phrase childminder (I personally hate the word childminder, I don't mind kids, I care for them, teach them, love them.....mind is such a passive word)

My dad sometimes calls me a babysitter cos he thinks it will get a rise from me, but since he is a vicar I just respond in kind. I mean a vicar only works one day a week after all. And then only 10 -11, maybe longer if the ladies make him a pot of tea with biscuits!

Don't worry about others, just be the best babysitter/childminder/childcare provider you can be.

I am an Early Years Practitioner to trade people and an independent child care worker to the rest!

But couldn't careless what i'm called providing im not called a babysitter (I do have to correct folk on this misrepresentation!)..............'Nanny McPhee' would suit me!

bindy
09-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Don't worry too much! If you don't want to be called a babysitter, next time, tell any American/Canadian you run a day care. My friend lives in the USA she is a childminder but she says she runs a daycare, same thing over there.

I worked in America and Canada has a nanny, alway a a babysitter to them!

KatieFS
09-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Ha ha! Yes I'm a bit like Eddie murphy daddy day care!

Supernanny86
09-05-2013, 09:42 PM
I was only called a babysitter just this morn!! This lady was moaning about her job. I replied that my job never felt like a job as I love it (even though its ****** hard work!!) to which she replied

"Oh yeah but you're a babysitter aren't you!"

Blooming cheek!!

And she's as English as anything!! If people think our jobs so cushy why don't they ****** do it!!

Sorry but this does wind me up!! A LOT!! :D

chriss
10-05-2013, 09:03 AM
Call me what you like as long as you pay on time :rolleyes:

bunyip
10-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Does anyone else sometimes feel this? LOL

I was talking to someone from America and we got talking about jobs. I said "I am a childminder!" and she replied "A child... minder? Oh you mean babysitter!" Me, "No, childminder, not babysitter!" She said "Well, yeah, babysitter, childminder, same thing isn't it?" I just gave up in the end, but still felt a bit GRRR :angry: LOL.

No, I don't take offence at it.

I only wish some of the registered CMs I've met were anything like as good as some of the babysitters I've known. :eek:

cathtee
11-05-2013, 03:07 PM
A teacher sent out a mindee to me saying "there's your babysitter" :angry:

bunyip
12-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Now, if you really want to be insulted, get a job on the railways.

There I was one day, all smart and clean in my freshly-pressed uniform, ready to answer questions, sort out people problems, reunite passengers with their missing belongings/children/partners, save the odd life, etc. Along comes a mum with a very stroppy child. Mum pulls said child to a halt, points at Bunyip, and declares loudly, "look - if you don't learn to behave, you'll never do well at school. Do you want to grow up and have to do a job like that?"

:p :)

shortstuff
12-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Now, if you really want to be insulted, get a job on the railways.

There I was one day, all smart and clean in my freshly-pressed uniform, ready to answer questions, sort out people problems, reunite passengers with their missing belongings/children/partners, save the odd life, etc. Along comes a mum with a very stroppy child. Mum pulls said child to a halt, points at Bunyip, and declares loudly, "look - if you don't learn to behave, you'll never do well at school. Do you want to grow up and have to do a job like that?"

:p :)

OOOOhhhhh ouch, some people don't think before they open their big traps.

MessybutHappy
12-05-2013, 03:53 PM
If I'd been on top form I might have said to the child "never mind, at least you won't have to be associated with such a rude mother forever" Bang out of order! Bunyip, did you say anything?