PDA

View Full Version : should I let child walk home on own?

julie w
09-05-2013, 07:19 AM
I mind a 10 year old girl. She has an after school club tonight until 5. My husband always picks her up from this. Mum has just text me saying she wants to walk to mine from club on her own. I dont feel comfortable with this, though mum does let her out to play in the evenings and week ends. Its because she's in my care I feel responsible. In the school holidays she had friends knocking on my door for her to go out. I told mum I didnt want her playing out when Im looking after her. She then got another family member to collect her early so she could go out to play. Of course she's not my daughter and its up to her mum what she allows her to do. She is capable and old enough to go out, but as I said it's because she's not my child and she's in my care that makes me feel extra responsible. What do you all think? I really value other opinions. x

wendywu
09-05-2013, 07:23 AM
You need to get mum to sign a Independent Arrival Form, then she is only your responsibility once she steps over your threshhold.

Dragonfly
09-05-2013, 08:41 AM
That's what I used to do get the form signed but it real depends how far the school is from your house as 5pm is a bit different from 3.15 end of school.If parents are happy for this and you have the forms signed not much you can do apart from say you do not like the idea.

mama2three
09-05-2013, 08:43 AM
Check with youre insurer - I seem to remember one of them used to allow independent arrival and one didnt - dont know which way round though.

FussyElmo
09-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Depends on the child is she the sort that would come straight home or could she get distracted.

I wouldn't be allowing it until I had got written permission in place :thumbsup:

wendywu
09-05-2013, 11:54 AM
That's what I used to do get the form signed but it real depends how far the school is from your house as 5pm is a bit different from 3.15 end of school.If parents are happy for this and you have the forms signed not much you can do apart from say you do not like the idea.

The other thing to think about is that in the winter 5pm it is dark :(

helendee
09-05-2013, 12:46 PM
I guess that you can't really go against a parent's wishes really. I would tell mum that I want an email sent to me giving permission for her daughter to walk to yours on her own then I would get her to sign an independant arrival form when you see her.

I assume that the child will be starting senior school next year and will have to get used to walking alone then?

julie w
09-05-2013, 01:30 PM
I guess that you can't really go against a parent's wishes really. I would tell mum that I want an email sent to me giving permission for her daughter to walk to yours on her own then I would get her to sign an independant arrival form when you see her.

I assume that the child will be starting senior school next year and will have to get used to walking alone then?

No she has another year left come September x

murrayspud
09-05-2013, 09:40 PM
I don't think I would like it even if I did have permission- I would still worry about them, especially if they were late, even though they could have left school late for a number of reasons, or got distracted on their way to you. If something did happen what would you do? Would the parents be responsible or you?

Supernanny86
09-05-2013, 09:54 PM
There's a lot of grey areas here!! I'd be so careful!! If you do decide to do it, make sure you've got it in writing then she's not your responsibility until she steps in your door! Also, if something was to happen between school and home, an accident for example, whose going to be contacted etc?!

mr man
09-05-2013, 10:25 PM
I have this, my own dd and her friend (mindee) both 11 going to high school sept. mindee has a extra lesson twice a week, she walks back - I have permission. My house is literally 3 mins from school. My own ds is 10 next month and he has lessons three days, he walks back sometimes with mindee.
My dd walks over to meet them, but not all the time.

I have permssion Via email . Mindee has phone, she contacts mum and mum and dad do too till she gets to me.

I don't mind it, but sometimes little things make me think, like the news now in Ohio. Not entirely comfortable, but they are nearly in high school.mi see it as preping for that, plus in really not far away.

Koala
10-05-2013, 05:45 AM
NO - I would not allow this. I totally agree with your actions so far.

I would feel awful and responsible and if anything were to happen, Whether I was legally responsible or not, I would be on tenterhooks waiting for her to arrive, its not worth it. There would be an outcry and it would be you who is in the firing line, with snipers left, right and centre.

Safeguard yourself and don't allow it. :thumbsup:

Ripeberry
10-05-2013, 05:59 AM
I would not be comfortable with this. Anything can happen and in the end you would be 'blamed'. A piece of paper does not get you off the hook. The bottom line is that you are responsible for them and I don't like these little permission forms. They would have to be countersigned by a solicitor to make sure that you would never get into trouble.
Therefore they are meaningless.

mama2three
10-05-2013, 06:05 AM
This thread makes some valid points to consider.. http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/paperwork-policies-procedures-permissions-forms-contracts-booklets/111821-independent-arrival.html

If you search independent arrival there are lots of threads / advice.

Kerry30
10-05-2013, 06:30 AM
I had a mindee a couple of years ago and did an independent arrival form with parents. The agreement was if he didnt arrive at mine by a certain time i had to ring parents and they would go look for him. It was his last term in junior school so he needed that bit of indepenence. And he was a sensible kid. Bless him though that first time he arrived at mine on his own he was so pale and relieved to see me. I did worry tho that he was ok, especially as he was late one day (because he was chatting!!). Dont know if i'd do it again tho....guess it depends on the child (and the parents). As it happened the parents decided that my house was too far from the senior school ( half hr walk) that he would be attending in the september, so they moved to another c/minder.

wendywu
10-05-2013, 07:26 AM
If you are willing to go and pick her up i cannot see why the parents would want her to walk home alone, better safe than sorry :panic:

jackie 7
10-05-2013, 08:19 AM
At the childhood confrence they talked about risk benefit. The danger that I see is from traffic. There are no more stranger abductions now than 40 years ago. What is the benefit to the child? What are the real dangers? Child gets independence and road safety awareness. In Switzerland when I lived there 15 years ago children of 5/6 walked to school alone. No Switzerland is not a safer country than here just they hide it well. Find out from the school what their policy is as they might not allow it. It could be introduced gradually where you meet the child at a set place on the road. Talk to the parents and child together. Also does the child want to walk alone. Not sure what I would do but I would check the route first and then decide. .