PDA

View Full Version : Going to briefing in a few weeks. My son has autism.

aella851
08-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Hi

I'm going on a briefing to find out more about being a childminder. I have 2 children age 12 and 9. My 9 year old has high functioning autism do you think this would cause a problem to get registered? He goes to mainstream school. At the moment I am. I run a craft club at a school. Used to take care of my friends kids after school twice a week. I'm currently studying open uni understanding children and young people module. I don't have a lot of confidence that I be good at his but I am very patient and calm. I'm 33 this year and want to earn my own money, also improve my credit rating etc.

Anyway I'm new to this site

Angela

tulip0803
09-05-2013, 07:53 AM
Hello and welcome:D

There are many childminders who have children with special needs. The experiences that you have bringing up your own children and running a craft club in school will be very useful and you will gain confidence. You already have special needs experience of autism.

You need to ensure that both your children are able to cope with( and understand why) a succession of children coming into their home. A lot of children have problems with this and sharing their Mum. My son was 7 when I started childminding and liked some children and really did not like others it was very obvious. I do not use my upstairs for childminding so that my children still have their own space and bolt holes when things get too much. I do not use their toys for childminding without their permission again they are theirs and I respect that.

If you are calm, patient with lots of enthusiasm you already have lots of the qualifications that childminders need. Hopefully you will decide that childminding is for you when you have been to briefing. Any questions and just come back here.

Good luck x

Beaka
09-05-2013, 08:05 AM
My daughter has high functioning autism although she was 15 when I re-registered. She is home educated though so she is here all the time I am minding. I didn't have any problems getting registered and I was open with the ofsted inspector about it at my pre-reg and inspection and they were both very positive about it!

You will also need to be open with parents and explain to them when they come to visit but I haven't had anyone not come to me because of it. You sound like an ideal person for the job and your experience with autism will help you a great deal with minding. Go for it and good luck! xx

partyrings
09-05-2013, 10:24 AM
My 10year old son is also autistic and I have had no problems with being a childminder. I dont allow the other children in space - room or use his toys. The families are always told he has autism and I have not come across a family that mind. But if they did they just dont take up the space. I take each situation as it comes and work around any sticky obstacles by putting adjustments in. The children that do come, know about him and leave him alone when he wants his space. Good kuck in registering it is all worth it :)

WibbleWobble
09-05-2013, 12:14 PM
My 21 yr old daughter has autism. She has the learning age of a 10 yr old. She lives with us.

I haven't had any problems with registering or getting customers. She is Facebook friends with a few of my parents present and past. She is very much loved by parents and mindees alike.

Wibble x

aella851
09-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Thank you for your replies. Lots of people think I be great as I'm good with children. Just got back from my craft club. All good fun. Ten giggly girls. Looking forward to my briefing on 20th may. Spoke to health visitor this morning and said that they are screaming out for child minders as there are only two in my village. They are like gold she said.
Anyway thank you for your replies once again.

rosebud
09-05-2013, 05:11 PM
I have a friend who has a grown up son with autism but has childminded throughout most of his life, she also has a daughter with different additional needs. Her son has found it difficult at times but it hasn't stopped her, she is graded outstanded and runs an extremely successful business and has also managed to obtain a degree at the same time. Good luck

Tazmin68
09-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Hi
My oldest son who is 10 years has high functioning autism/aspergers. Being a childminder puts me in a great position of being able to be there for him for appointments etc. It can also be a perfect selling tool for parents who need childcare for a child who is on the spectrum. I have for a child with ADHD during school holidays.