PDA

View Full Version : Potential assistant meeting

Memina
08-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Hey,

So I have decided to take on an assistant in September when I go back to work after maternity leave.

But although I've had assistants before they have always been family members and this lady is a registered childminder who has decided for now not to work independently.

So what sorts of things should I ask her? What would you expect an assistant to do?

Really appreciate your comments

Memina
09-05-2013, 06:28 AM
Any ideas?

VeggieSausage
09-05-2013, 08:22 AM
I have never used an assistant but I suppose I would want to know what she likes and dislikes about childminding....what was her previous grading.....talk about sick days and make sure she has no illnesses or injuries that may hamper her working with you.....the main thing for me would be if I liked them and could work with them....talk about holidays and how that would work does she have any plans....

FussyElmo
09-05-2013, 08:41 AM
Sickness, holidays etc.

Why doesn't she want to be a cm anymore?

Her likes and dislikes. What does she consider her strengths what doesn't she like doing.

The main one do you like her - you need to click with her :thumbsup:

MessybutHappy
09-05-2013, 08:43 AM
I agree, and think of some situations that you've read about where there have been totally differing opinions, and see if she's of like mind or not. Where does she stand on controlled crying for example, or how to deal with a child with a habit like biting...I'd be interested to know why she's decided to work for you instead of herself too, what are her expectations from this change of direction?

mama2three
09-05-2013, 08:52 AM
Agree with the others - why has she given up. Maybe she hates the paperwork - is that part of what you want her to do...just make sure you both have the same expectations of her role! She may see herself as just 'playing with the kids without the responsibility' - you may want her to cook / clean / do LJs whatever....
Most of all you need to 'click' and she needs to able to communicate. That way you'll be able to iron out the little differences in the ways you work etc....

Memina
09-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Thanks all,

So meeting went well she seemed nice.

Apparently she registered but soon after got a part time job so hasn't childminded before.

She has a son of her own and in an ideal world says she'd like to give up her part time job for childminding. She's happy to have a flexible agreement which works for me.

I'm just now feeling really apprehensive as I'm a bit of a control freak and fear I may be a really bad boss. Lol.

I think I really need to sit down and think about what expectations I have of an assistant.

KatieFS
09-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Expectations are the main thing. What is her role, what's yours. I'm at this cross roads too. Quite worried about taking in an assistant and what would happen if they didn't show up...

KatieFS
09-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Memina what would you use her for?