PDA

View Full Version : Finger infection ??

mrs robbie williams
08-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Lo had blister on finger last week from burn on iron at home, mum text to say he now has another blister and doc says they are infected, on antibiotic medicine and cream from last night, he doesn't come til 1230 so havnt seen it but am i ok to take him?

Koala
08-05-2013, 10:51 AM
OUCH - sounds sore.

If he is ok and the infection isn't likely to be contagious which is often the case I would consider taking him, however, In my policies I state 48 hours after being prescribed antibiotics, but that was written with an 'illness' in mind, but one cannot discount the affects of the antibiotics too.
But in this instance I would consider taking the child but this is entirely up to you, your policies, your plans for the day (if you have to be out and about etc...) and how confident you are in dealing with any issues that arise.

I think you also need to be aware of how bad the affected area is and how it is affecting him. Burns and infections can make you feel quite poorly, I say nursing a burn from my slow cooker - I can't think of anything else apart from how much it hurts.

If he has been prescribed medicine and cream it sounds quite bad. Double ouch. Good luck, if you decide to take him, tell mum that you are only doing so on the understanding that if you feel he should be at home you will contact her and expect collection ASAP and thank her for her honesty in telling you, just in case she is holding anything back and the fact that he has been throwing up all night due to side affect. :laughing: No, a parent wouldn't do that :laughing:

Koala
08-05-2013, 10:54 AM
oh forgot to mention, just make sure it isn't impetigo!!! (often that is what cream and medicine is prescribed for), If thats the case he needs to stay at home, definately. And no covering it up with a plaster is not good enough.

The more I think about it, I think I would ask him to stay at home, depends how you can trust the parent, ask directly if it is impetigo!!

mrs robbie williams
08-05-2013, 11:27 AM
I asked and she said it isn't have taken him but he's also got a cold, so not himself anyway, finger looks gross and making me feel queasy, cm come nurse today !!! Other lo who has only just come back after eye infection but her eye is swelling again so mum popped in and gave piriton - dh still in hosp STRESSED.com lol

Koala
08-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Oh Big sighs, you've got your hands full.

I make no wonder your stressed. Cheer up, :D

Maza
08-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Has the blister been popped? DD had a finger infection a few months ago and DH had to pop it to let out all the pus. Yuk! The doctor told us to do it so that we could contain the 'mess' (did it in the bath) as it would have popped by itself at the slightest knock. She gave us a sterile needle. I kept her off nursery for a day (she also had a bad cold anyway) incase she forgot and went in the sand or something (we were told not to cover it). Sorry, not much advice as great advice given already. It was obviously easy for me to keep her off as I was at home anyway. Hope your hubby is feeling better. x

mrs robbie williams
08-05-2013, 12:05 PM
hubby is doing my head in, i think he is enjoying the attention - seems in no rush whatsover to find anything out from doctors, enjoying the peace no doubt and being waited on :cool: said to me last night 'why do you keep asking the nurse when i can come home' well hello, maybe because im fed up of trapsing up the hospital with mindees and my own kids to sit there while he is high on morphine, paying a fortune for car park and getting nothing done indoors. They now think it is sciatica in the back but are now focusing on the acid reflux he has developed and is on pills for. Doctor doesnt do his rounds til he has finished in theatre so that seems to be after 5 which is when i need to be here doing tea, got mindee (with yucky finger) until 630 and im not going up there after that !! if necessary he will have to get a taxi home if they decide to discharge. Sorry for the moan but im feeling a tad stressed out today :laughing::laughing: bring on the wine later :thumbsup:

mrs robbie williams
08-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Dh home :) pulled back muscle !! Feeble on sofa. Mindee finger looks awful have suggested mum put dressing on as he keeps catching it and screaming and getting food in it and crying :( would say roll on fri night but have first aid ref all say sat !!

jackie 7
08-05-2013, 04:58 PM
I hope you recorded the burns. 2 in a week! Has mum not learned. When I did my back in doctor was so pleased I didn't stop moving. Hd said lying in bed didn't help. Just constant moving. I am starting Pilates again to keep flexible.

mrs robbie williams
08-05-2013, 06:01 PM
yes have done it as existing injury form - one was iron and apparantly one was her hair straightners ???? he is 2 in july and literally on the go the whole time, i dont even let him in the kitchen let alone near an iron !! she likes to keep him up late so she gets a lay in each morning, she is lovely but even her sister had a go at her recently as she had taken him to an indoor play area and realised he has no social skills at all - he just pushes other children over, sister suggested mum got up earlier and took him to playgroups, i struggle with taking him as have him 1230 to 1830 but he has lunch til 1300 sleeps til 1500 then school run. Have suggested in past mum changes shifts so i can take him more places but she says she likes her lay in's :cool: when she collected today i told her he really isnt right, very tearful which is not like him at all, i queried the antibiotics as ive not seen them before and she said no he hasnt had them before whereas before she said he has, i just feel so restricted, i cant let him outside as worried he will bash it/get dirt in it so have had to keep the other 2 in all afternoon which didnt please them. Oh well only got him tomorow and friday so wont be so bad. It just annoys me when kids obviously could do with just a day or two chilling at home esp after such a traumatic thing (also he keeps finding things and covering his hand ie blanket, tea towel - as if he doesnt want to look at it ) but work seems more important :( rant over xx