PDA

View Full Version : Why did i do that??

Starfish007
07-05-2013, 06:02 PM
I just need to share my frustration so I can forget about it and move on.

Its no biggie really but after school today a parent who's son I collect every Thursday from school mentioned that from next week he has an after school club playing cricket (which is free) for 6 weeks on a thursday, she said will I have to still pay £1 for his tea? I stupidly said no of course not (that's fine why couldn't I of stopped there), I then went on to say I will just charge you half fees!!!! She wasn't expecting that and was very grateful.

Why did I have to offer to just charge half fees? I didn't need to. I will now be down by £30 in total through my own stupidity.

Worse still she may expect it all the time! I think I will just have to say it was a gesture and I couldn't do it regularly as I need to know what my monthly income is..........

Can anyone make me feel better? :0(( x

Koala
07-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Sorry your on your own.

But don't beat yourself up too much, just pretend you have the moral high ground and keep it in the bank for next time, BUT NEXT TIME KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!
:D

Mouse
07-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Oh dear :(

I had to bite my tongue today when a parent asked me to have her children an extra day tomorrow. They didn't come yesterday with it being the bank holiday, but they had paid for the day. She asked if I could do the extra day tomorrow & I almost said I wouldn't charge as they'd paid for yesterday & not come. Luckily I stopped myself in time :D

lizann
07-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Know how you feel i slipped up once lol not done it since

Starfish007
07-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Mouse maybe I'm a sorfie, if a parent has paid for a bank holiday I always let them swop for another day or if I don't have the space I wont charge them. Am I being too soft? x

Twinkling Stars
07-05-2013, 06:57 PM
I think we all get a bit soft at times. I don't charge for bank hols at all! :-\

littlemiss60561
07-05-2013, 06:59 PM
I've let parents swap contracted days loads of times. I'm far to soft. Maybe that's also why I'm far too skint!

Starfish007
07-05-2013, 07:09 PM
I feel slightly better, I daren't tell my husband! He'll think I've got money to chuck away! x

MessybutHappy
07-05-2013, 07:11 PM
I'd say you've banked some brownie points and you've got a quieter few days so everyone is happy! As you say, it's a one off, limited offer.

littlemiss60561
07-05-2013, 07:32 PM
And You never know... She may recommend you to a parent at cricket!

Starfish007
07-05-2013, 07:58 PM
thanks guys, slowly feeling better :0)

hectors house
07-05-2013, 08:04 PM
If you think of it negatively - yes you are a softie - but if you look at it positively - yes you are a kind person :thumbsup:

Mouse
07-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Mouse maybe I'm a sorfie, if a parent has paid for a bank holiday I always let them swop for another day or if I don't have the space I wont charge them. Am I being too soft? x

I don't normally have the space to swap them to a different day and can only do it this time as another mindee is off sick. If I'm willing to work the bank holiday I charge, but if I'm not willing to work I don't. I've got tougher over the years! I have 4 mindees on a Monday so that's a lot of money to lose if I don't charge.

chriss
07-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Don't think Alan Sugar got where he is by being soft, but most of us are not trying to be the next Alan Sugar either lol

Maza
07-05-2013, 08:42 PM
I've made mistakes in the past too! Like you said, you now need to move on. She'll think you are a lovely honest person and will probably 'big you up' to other parents. Word of mouth is the best form of advertisement. I don't think you'll make the same mistake again though because you live and learn. x

Chimps Childminding
08-05-2013, 07:53 AM
I'm as bad!!! I've just had a mum go back to work after maternity leave for her 3rd child (had still been having 2 others before I was off sick). Dad asked how much he owed last week, and I said £30 each day for the 2 boys (20 months and 8 months) I have them 2 days a week. Then he said what about ***** (she's at school and I have her before and after). I told him not to worry about her, (was feeling guilty that their bill had almost doubled as it was)!!! :blush: Do feel slightly better now as mum is picking them up an hour earlier as dad can't fit all 3 in his van, so I'm still charging the same, but finishing a bit earlier!!

phoenix2010
08-05-2013, 08:08 AM
We cant help ourselves , we are naturally caring , giving , generous human beings :D

DONT DO IT AGAIN !!:thumbsup:

Starfish007
08-05-2013, 12:31 PM
Glad Im not the only softie, thanks guys. I will learn and move on :0))

jellyelly
08-05-2013, 01:23 PM
I've got a child doing an after school club and I dropped my fees to half because I felt bad charging them full fee when someone else is picking them up and giving them tea! Eek I must be soft too ;) xx

maryp0ppins
08-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Ha we've all been there. I've agreed to something at the door waving them off & shut the door & said out loud "why did I just say yes"
I think it's a put on the spot moment of madness & if your anything like me HATE discussing money!!

phoenix2010
08-05-2013, 04:45 PM
I hate being put on the spot, so Ive developed a strategy , whenever im asked anything like
can you do this day?
how much will that be ?
can I swap this for that ?
I always say , Ill have to double check and get back to you

Emergency "foot in mouth " averted :D

shortstuff
08-05-2013, 04:49 PM
I agree with Phoenix, i always say 'can I get back to you?' lets you think about it before hanging yourself out to dry x

Chimps Childminding
08-05-2013, 06:44 PM
I hate being put on the spot, so Ive developed a strategy , whenever im asked anything like
can you do this day?
how much will that be ?
can I swap this for that ?
I always say , Ill have to double check and get back to you

Emergency "foot in mouth " averted :D

I'm ok doing that if they ring or text, its face to face I always get caught out :angry:

cupcakencookie
08-05-2013, 07:20 PM
I just need to share my frustration so I can forget about it and move on.

Its no biggie really but after school today a parent who's son I collect every Thursday from school mentioned that from next week he has an after school club playing cricket (which is free) for 6 weeks on a thursday, she said will I have to still pay £1 for his tea? I stupidly said no of course not (that's fine why couldn't I of stopped there), I then went on to say I will just charge you half fees!!!! She wasn't expecting that and was very grateful.

Why did I have to offer to just charge half fees? I didn't need to. I will now be down by £30 in total through my own stupidity.

Worse still she may expect it all the time! I think I will just have to say it was a gesture and I couldn't do it regularly as I need to know what my monthly income is..........

Can anyone make me feel better? :0(( x

Well I'm definitely too soft then:blush: I don't charge for holidays (mine or mindees) or sickness and even refund if a parent picks up early or if a child is going to a friends after school so won't be coming to me... no wonder I'm always skint! I don't charge for food either and have one mindee everyday who would happily eat non-stop if I let him! Haven't been minding long - just hope I can toughen up while I still have a roof over my head!!!

supermumy
08-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Wow deffo harden up
Holiday pay is upto you but
Paying bk money if early pick up or not used? :)

cupcakencookie
08-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Yes I know :blush::blush::blush: I've always been really useless at taking peoples money... I think I feel guilty about getting paid to do something I really enjoy, which I know is a really stupid way to feel! Maybe if I asked for money upfront I'd find it easier - at the moment I give out invoices every monday for the week before so I know exactly how many hours the children have attended for and feel bad about being paid for times I haven't been working. Or maybe I should only accept really awful children so that I no longer feel guilty about taking the money!!!:laughing: