PDA

View Full Version : Would you spend this amount on your childminding kids

littletreasures
06-05-2013, 08:16 PM
My kids are all grown up, youngest is 19!!

I am tempted to get the children one of these, but it's a lot of money. I currently have 8 month x 5 days, 11 month x 4 days, 20 month x 2 days, 3 year old x 4 days, 7 year and 10 year (after school).

They are going for about £350 near me on Ebay.

Buy Little Tikes Tropical Playground from our Activity Sets range - Tesco.com (http://www.tesco.com/direct/little-tikes-tropical-playground/203-5023.prd#BVRRWidgetID)

I have the Step 2 kangaroo jumper on the decking for the little ones, but nothing for the older ones.

moggy
06-05-2013, 08:34 PM
To be honest... no.
We go to the playground, we have tree stump and planks to climb on and there are sets like this at toddler group and the play centre we go to. I avoid plastics wherever possible as they do not weather well long-term, can not be repaired and are really nasty to the environment.
Also it is not very 'open-ended', meaning it really only is what it is. An alternative would be a pile of milk crates, planks, an old tyre etc which the children can use in a thousand ways being forced to use their own imaginations. Also, that would be much cheaper, and sustainable environmentally.

The Juggler
06-05-2013, 08:42 PM
link isn't working for me hon. how much is it? i got a little tikes 2 x slilde with tunnel/playhouse. I paid £75 second hand. It's about £400 new. I def. wouldn't pay full price. :panic::panic:

clareelizabeth1
06-05-2013, 08:43 PM
No I wouldn't they had one at the nursery I worked at and when the kids reach the bottom of the slide they drop a foot to the ground. Hurt their bums and backs until they were big enough to stop them selfs with their feet. A few also stopped with their feet and then flipped and fell flat on their face.

Maza
06-05-2013, 08:47 PM
No, I couldn't convince myself to spend that much if my own children weren't going to benefit. Hubby would go mad too. x

mummyMia
06-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Yes, I would probably spend that much but only on something wooden. I don't like the Little Tikes things because they fade really quickly and just don't seem to last all that long. For that sort of money I would want something that will look good for the next 10 years!! I have had a wooden TP swing/slide combo and a wooden playhouse for some years now. I restain them each spring and they always come out looking as good as new. :D

littletreasures
06-05-2013, 08:56 PM
link isn't working for me hon. how much is it? i got a little tikes 2 x slilde with tunnel/playhouse. I paid £75 second hand. It's about £400 new. I def. wouldn't pay full price. :panic::panic:

It's £470 Juggler. That's why I'm hesitating.

I like the idea of milk crate and planks. Need to find a friendly milkman.

Maza, my thoughts exactly. My children say we never had that, even now if I get something for the minded kids, lol!

I did think there was quite a drop from the bottom of the slide.

Off to think again now.

AmandaKess
06-05-2013, 08:58 PM
I MIGHT spend that much, but not on one of these. It's a worthwhile investment if you plan on keeping your business running for years to come, but these plastic play-sets just aren't worth the money, especially at this price.

lizann
06-05-2013, 09:02 PM
no sorry i wont pay that much way to expensive

CLL
06-05-2013, 09:19 PM
I don't mind spending the money but I would buy something wooden. Also you mentioned it was for the older ones, I couldn't see a 10 year old playing on this. I think you should look around for something better or as suggested some open ended resources.

Optimalstar
06-05-2013, 09:31 PM
No I wouldn't. I have a toddler slide in my garden, bits of wood to create an obstacle course, favourite at the minute, and a toddler trampoline. Slide and trampoline are my children's. however I live a street away from a traditional playground( swings, roundabout type) and several streets away(same place just further up) from a natural( all wood and bark) playground so I get out a lot even with limited time after school.

blue bear
06-05-2013, 09:36 PM
That's a lot of money for a slide, how would you stop the younger children going on it?

greanan
06-05-2013, 10:17 PM
They have one of these at our local toy library. Kids love it!! If I had the money I'd def get one

Dragonfly
07-05-2013, 06:10 AM
No I wouldn't we have a park nearby.

little chickee
07-05-2013, 08:10 AM
I like it and i would like one for my garden but not at that price. I wouldnt pay the £350 on ebay either. My youngest son is 10 and i could not justify spending that much money. I do however have a similar smaller version that was my sons. I have had it for over 10 years and it is still going strong.

hectors house
07-05-2013, 08:14 AM
Have you looked on ebay, gumtree, trade it, newspaper adverts etc? - I rarely buy anything new for mindees.

Mouse
07-05-2013, 08:34 AM
We had something similar a few years ago. They're really not big enough for older children, who just leap around on them, climbing up the wrong way & leaping off - not something you want the little ones copying. Also, as my children got older, i didn't want a big plastic climbing frame in the garden.

On the plus side, they do hold their price well, so you can normally resell them easily enough. I sold mine for about the same price as I paid for it.

I'd have thought 7 & 10yr olds would love old tyres, planks of wood etc, and get much more fun out of them.

pipandbaz
07-05-2013, 08:44 AM
I have one (secondhand) and the children love it! All ages use it so I'd say look for a second hand one x

nikki thomson
07-05-2013, 09:19 AM
I would buy it but only as I know my own children would use it too, I personally don't work enough hrs to justify it just for mindees but you do as you work full time.
I have to disagree with other comments about little tikes not lasting, I have a coupe car it's 15yrs old and there's nothing wrong with it at all, it has lived outside, never put away, I Also have a jungle climber, see saw and a playhouse, all plastic and still going strong years later.
Little tikes will last forever they are so well made, I wouldn't buy a cheap plastic tbh but you really can't go wrong with little tikes. X

BuggsieMoo
07-05-2013, 09:37 AM
My theory is if I spend more on mindees then I do on my own children (or provide for them) on equipment, days out, treats etc then no. I work to provide for my children first and foremost and secondly for mindees. I can and do provide interesting and filling days on a limited budget both for my mindees and my own 4 children. x If I see something I really like then I have a good hunt around for it second hand and cheaper. xx

I know someone who barely provides for their own children as a NRP but works as a childminder and spends fortunes on the mindees - I see this as wrong and I know their children are also very put out by this. xx

phoenix2010
07-05-2013, 09:49 AM
If I had lots of room I might buy a second hand one , got an 8 in 1 little tykes thing for £120 off ebay , you can get them cheaper

to be honest , my mindees are 2 and 3 and they are loving the sand pit , water tray , an old tyre full of compost to dig in , some large cardboard tubes , crates and net curtains , they build all sorts with these

I try to avoid slides ,climbing frames and trampolines etc , Im always a bit worried about accidents and they really dont miss them

they find plenty to do without

why not invest the money in lots of things that can hold their interest , and also things that can come indoors in the winter so that you get the benefit all year round