PDA

View Full Version : Wooden cabin or portacabin?

SDC34cr
06-05-2013, 01:45 PM
I'm thinking of having a playroom built for childminding. I can't afford to build and we have a odd shape house so a conservatory is not practical either. I am thinking of a wooden cabin or a porta cabin. Has anybody got any of these and what would be best for long term use.

blue bear
06-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Are you allowed to chikdminder from another building from the home? I'm sure so wine else will know.

adedwards68
06-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Are you allowed to chikdminder from another building from the home? I'm sure so wine else will know.

I don't think it's a problem as long as you are still using your house for minding as well.

SDC34cr
06-05-2013, 02:20 PM
I'm thinking of having a playroom built for childminding. I can't afford to build and we have a odd shape house so a conservatory is not practical either. I am thinking of a wooden cabin or a porta cabin. Has anybody got any of these and what would be best for long term use.

We would be using the house as well, but will have lots of bits set up in the cabin for daily use, just so i can get a bit of normality back to the house. (We have no young children ourselves and it would be nice to be able to close the door on toys)

Just looking for information on wooden cabins or a porta cabin, not really sure how long they last, whats the best value for money etc

Samcat
06-05-2013, 04:51 PM
We've had a large wooden cabin (4mx4m) at the end of our garden for about 12 years now. As long as you paint them regularly with wood treatment they're fine. We've had the roofing felt come off in places a couple of times over the years due to high winds and the edge trims to the roof have needed replacing, but that's about it.
It was a bargain at the time. We bought it at a garden show and it was a sample one they had ready loaded on a lorry for a quick sale. Including putting down the base and them erecting it for us, I think it cost just under £1000.
Originally it was a playroom for our boys, then as they grew up it became a bit of a dumping ground. It's always had electricity running to it. Recently OH has insulated both the walls internally (and put pine tongue and groove on top) and the roof externally (and put flexible corrugated roofing over the top - not as aesthetically pleasing as before, but it makes a huge difference to the temperature inside. He's also put lighting and more plug sockets inside. We're now using it for crafting and picture framing.

adedwards68
06-05-2013, 06:26 PM
You also would need to use it for your own personnel use otherwise it would be classed as a business property and you may be charged business rates for it

Memina
22-08-2013, 11:59 PM
Can I ask what do you do about toileting?

Im planning to get one of these so that we can set up activities and have a little structure. A bit like toddler group but at home.

I have a downstairs toilet but wondered if anyone has a toilet in thiers?

rickysmiths
23-08-2013, 12:55 AM
You are not allowed to put a toilet in them because then they are classed as a dwelling house. We discovered this when we looked at a house before we bought this one. It had a 24 x 18ft wooden building at the end of a 100ft garden. OH and I were fighting over it. Me for cm and him as a music room. lol!

Our surveyor pointed out that we could not have a toilet, though we could have a basin. Nor practical if you have to go back tot he house to the toilet and have to take all the children with you. I am glad we didn't buy the house I prefer the one we got.

funemnx
23-08-2013, 06:50 AM
My son has a large cabin at the bottom of his garden - his partner uses it for work. It's too hot in the summer and freezing in the winter...

Bluebell
23-08-2013, 06:59 AM
slightly different but when I worked in a romanian hospital their rooms were very basic so we had a portacabin shipped out and kitted it out - it was fantastic because we could store all the toys and resources as you say without having to worry about it - and lock it all up.
it was a large one as it had 2 class rooms but I know you can get smaller ones. We had one set up with activities and crafts and one set up as a sensory room.

Memina
23-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Was thinking about a chemical toilet for those occasions when little bladders leave it too late!

We currently have a concrete garage which is just used to store our bikes. It seems a shame to not use the space especially when we have 3 children of our own who will enjoy it for years to come.

Bluebell
24-08-2013, 01:12 PM
why don't you get a camping toilet? - its just a bucket built into a sturdy base with a proper loo seat. We use one for camping and its so much easier to empty - you wouldn't need to put chemicals in it - maybe just a bit of water to dilute so it doesn't get too smelly!

Samijanec
24-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Was thinking about a chemical toilet for those occasions when little bladders leave it too late!

We currently have a concrete garage which is just used to store our bikes. It seems a shame to not use the space especially when we have 3 children of our own who will enjoy it for years to come.

You could give them a shovel? :D:D:D

Memina
24-08-2013, 03:58 PM
Wonder what Ofsted will think about using a cabin for part of the day and using the toilet whether its a camping toilet or spotty