View Full Version : Can I childmind whilst renting?

04-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Hi I'm in a rented property do u think it would matter?
Can I still childmind?

04-05-2013, 08:19 PM
I'm in housing association and I just wrote to them for permission. Lots of people do just get permission in writing from landlord

04-05-2013, 09:13 PM
I did. But ad to eat my landladies written permission.

04-05-2013, 09:14 PM
I did. But ad to eat my landladies written permission.

* had. * get
Teach me not to check before I hit send!

04-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Yes you definitely can. It's what I do.

04-05-2013, 10:18 PM
We are about to move into a rented property that has given me permission to childmind.

Twinkling Stars
05-05-2013, 05:54 AM
Yep i do too. Landlord wasn't bothered.

05-05-2013, 06:41 AM
Yep, ours is owned by a housing association and I just wrote to them with a load of points about how I'd make it work (e.g. having a strict parking policy as space is pretty much non existent outside our house) and basically tried to counter any objections they might have before they even had them! They wrote back giving permission as long as I did things like registered with ofsted, had PLI (and gave them copies of certificates), stuck to local planning regs (max 6 kids in 24 hours round here), accepted that they weren't responsible for any alterations to the property and make sure we leave the property in a fit state when we leave....nothing we wouldn't do anyway really! Hope that helps x

05-05-2013, 07:00 AM
I emailed my housing association to ask and they emailed back saying fine, just write to them and confirm when I actually started working as one. :thumbsup:

05-05-2013, 12:47 PM
Also, to say, we did find it hard to find a landlord who would let us as we would be new tenants. We found a house that was perfect in many ways, and I sent an email pointing out that not only on a personal note is it important for me to keep the house in good condition as it is a family home but that as children are bring collected it is also worth my while tp ensure that the house is kept the THE BEST possible standard.

It was what swung it our way with the house we are now under application for.

jackie 7
05-05-2013, 02:37 PM
I am in rented property. Not a problem. If they take families they won't mind just get permission.

05-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Yes you can! I do, however some landlords aren't keen as it means more wear and tear and a different insurance as a business is being ran from their property. Ofsted like to see tbe permission letter from your landlord too

carol cameron
05-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Sometimes it isn't the landlords decision so you should check that out before you do anything else.
I have a buy to let mortgage and its in the details that tenants are not allowed to run a business from the premises. It means if I rented to anyone wanting to childmind from the premises it could not legally be allowed- not my choice.