PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if you wasnt a childminder?

mammumof4
04-05-2013, 07:49 AM
Not enjoying this job much at the moment, I've waited 4 weeks for one family to pay, will be the 5th week next week ( problem with tax credits!)
And one family just drastically reduced my hours.

It's stressfull, messy, noisy, not to mention the paperwork!

I'm finding myself looking forward to the future when my youngest goes to school ( she's only 2 at the moment! Lol )
So I can look for something part time out of house. I have zero qualifications that don't involve childcare!
I've just been looking at job centre plus, I quite fancy working in next or John Lewis. Dressing up smart and LEAVING THE HOUSE on my own!!! I could even have a posh bag over my shoulder and some nice heals, no triple pushchair! No moaning kids!
I will keep dreaming for another few years.... Although how difficult is it going to be looking for a job within school hours because there is no way I will be using after school clubs or childminders, I want to be here for my kids every night :/

supermumy
04-05-2013, 07:54 AM
We all have these days im sure but I feel if you feel like that and really Hate your job than get out now their are jobs out there that cater for when you have kids and you always have weekends :)

bunyip
04-05-2013, 07:56 AM
I always wanted to be an assassin. :rolleyes:

Becci26
04-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Ooh in a dream world I would be a midwife!

One day I may retrain but am not very good at studying so that puts me off!

For me though it was the best decision I made giving up my previous job and being at home for dd, we were lucky enough to have the best of both worlds :-)

RuthJ
04-05-2013, 08:07 AM
My plan was to study midwifery, but I got married instead!! ( child bride, but still happily married 10 years later :)).

littlemiss60561
04-05-2013, 08:23 AM
Aw I feel your plight, but luckily I'm generally happy with my work. I just need to get on top of the paperwork...which is what's dragging me down I think. Easier said than done ...
I do have days, sometimes weeks, even months where I would like to be just a grown up in a grown up world. Being able to walk in from work after a busy interactive day , take a bath, my dinner nearly ready, chill with my children who are pleased to see a new face for the day and are ready to play while someone else clears up the days chaos.... A day off meaning a day off.. that kinda thing.... Think I need a chat with the OH!!
What would I do? I don't know... What am I interested in? Not sure anymore... My mind is boggled .... Maybe a chocolate and wine taste tester ?? Hmm...

Rick
04-05-2013, 08:29 AM

There's still time......:laughing:

loocyloo
04-05-2013, 08:29 AM
if i couldn't work with children then i'd like to work in a zoo !!! ( same thing really i think! :laughing: )

i was at our local zoo and theme park the other day and had a lovely chat to a man who took early retirement from the policeforce, having been a teacher before that and now works there - mainly helping out with group visits, but sometimes assists with the rides or animal talks and he loves it!

chriss
04-05-2013, 08:31 AM

haha am sure we could provide a waiting list :rolleyes: Just in case u change career !!

greanan
04-05-2013, 08:57 AM
I'd love to be in C.I.D in the police - a million miles apart from this job!!!

Becci26
04-05-2013, 09:02 AM
My plan was to study midwifery, but I got married instead!! ( child bride, but still happily married 10 years later :)).

There's always time, my friend who is in her 40's has just signed up to study it next year now the kids are at school.

I was a young mum so life sort of took over a bit, I often think about doing it... Maybe once the youngest goes to school I'll have a rethink - only another 5 years...this ones not even born yet lol!

suziealderton
04-05-2013, 09:18 AM
before i had my children-which has led to childminding i was a dog handler in the police. Loved it, but would have been horrendous trying to juggle it with childcare

tori4
04-05-2013, 10:05 AM
With all the proposed changes I am truly worried there will be no job for CMs soon enough either undercut by nursery or low qualified and cheap agency staff . So I have been thinking the same thing.

My OH and I have always been interested in fostering but having our own children and CM has put the LA fostering team off !! Never sure why thou...

But thinking as both my boys will be in junior sch within 18mnths and with childcare qualifications and experience this may be a possibility.

It won't pay the bills thou, so may have to re-think this plan. :-(

mammumof4
04-05-2013, 01:03 PM
You've have made me chuckle :)

I would also love to be a midwife! I couldn't handle the horrible stuff tho :( I would be in pieces if I had to tell someone bad news so that's always put me off.

I love the fact that I'm always there at the school gates for my kids, here to cook dinner and do homework and be here for my 2 year old everyday, but sometimes I do think she gets fed up of me and she is very clingy with me so nursery will do her good when the time comes.
I definitely won't continue with childminding when she's at full time school. But I just don't have a clue what I will do, and it will need to be a 9.30- 3pm job! :/

tulip0803
04-05-2013, 01:15 PM
Unfortunately it is getting more difficult to get hours that fit in with school. I used to work in Morrisons on the till and loved it (I am nosey and liked to see what people are buying:blush:) but now they want you to be flexible! Very hard to get set hours each week. Same with my friend at tescos they want her to work afternoons and evenings now, so much for being family friendly.

Jobs in schools and playgroup are like diamonds (was going to say something else but didn't want the stars) and everyone wants them.

I have a friend that works in Next and she HAS to do sats/suns in rotation and on Sales days has to be in a 5am. She also had to work boxing day and new years day:(.

Local shops are more likely to be family friendly.

clareelizabeth1
04-05-2013, 01:16 PM
I used to be a chef which was great fun but I think I would go for something like canoe instructor now. Some thing different but fun

funemnx
04-05-2013, 01:17 PM
There's still time......:laughing:

The secret name of your new company - PTDP - Parents that don't pay :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Company slogan - We make the bad ones disappear....

adedwards68
04-05-2013, 02:37 PM
Ooh in a dream world I would be a midwife!

One day I may retrain but am not very good at studying so that puts me off!

For me though it was the best decision I made giving up my previous job and being at home for dd, we were lucky enough to have the best of both worlds :-)

Oh me too. Cuddling all those newborns and handing them back to mum!

messyplay
04-05-2013, 03:46 PM
I would be the wife of a millionaire

singingcactus
04-05-2013, 03:57 PM
My dream job would be to be a puppeteer.

I also would quite like to work in child psychology.

But the reality these days is, if I left early years or playwork, I would apply for work in pet shops. I would get the opportunity to raise the standard of care for critters, and give informed information to pet owners instead of the tripe often given.

However, I have found that after any period of burn out with childcare, something happens wjich renews my vigour and enthusiasm and I find I couldn't bear to leave the field, ever. I hope the 'sonething'happens for you soon. Sometimes it is a training course, sometimes a long weekend or cheeky day (just go ahead and book one, stop worrying about what people think), sometimes it is meeting a cool minder, or an inspiring friend, or just going on pinterest.

jackie 7
04-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Anything that pays huge amounts. Short hours a private jet and be the boss!!!

Mummits
04-05-2013, 06:46 PM
I quite fancy running a campsite - I can just see myself riding around on my grass-cutting tractor on a sunny day, but it could be a bit quiet in winter!

littlemiss60561
04-05-2013, 08:25 PM
before i had my children-which has led to childminding i was a dog handler in the police. Loved it, but would have been horrendous trying to juggle it with childcare

That's what my dd wanted to do, but has changed it to army bomb disposal now. Scares me! Hoping she changes her mind back!

tiredandemotional
04-05-2013, 09:33 PM
I've worked in pathology, been a marine journalist and spent nine years as Head of marketing at a Children's charity in London, but I am so glad I am a childminder now - despite the hard work, late paying parents and mad children! I really love the fact I am self-employed and can be there for my kids. But I must admit that I am looking forward to taking my maternity leave soon and having a break for a while - it is such hard work and, like you, I have some down days. I can't see myself doing it long-term (although expecting baby number three may delay the next move!) as, again like you, I do crave the opportunity to work in the 'real' world with grown -ups sometimes! I have considered midwifery and teaching but can't imagine I could ever afford the study fees :( Still, childminding suits for now and one day I could imagine running it as a business with an assistant doing all the hard work while I do the paperwork; something I perversely enjoy!

WibbleWobble
04-05-2013, 09:38 PM
I have been a nurse (actually a nurse consultant no less) a medical rep, a medical lecturer and I am a qualified counsellor.

But this is the best job I have ever done...ok not as well paid but job satisfaction is worth so much more

Wibble the content xx

Toothfairy
05-05-2013, 09:06 AM
Before CMing, I have always worked in Dentistry. I have been a general Dental Nurse, an Implant/Theatre nurse, Practice Manager for Dental Practices, Unit Manager for an Emergency Unit and now alongside my CMing, I work alongside my colleague and we train Dentists and their staff.
We train them in Safeguarding, handling patients, law & ethics, CQC etc, etc.
I am hopefully, over the next year or so, gradually going to do more of this and less CMing. :thumbsup:

lubeam
05-05-2013, 10:56 AM
I'd be a fire fighter ! Always wanted to but was a young mum n the rota is terrible but would like to think that when there all a bit older and less mummy orientated that I could try it , who knows ..........

blue bear
05-05-2013, 08:56 PM
When I was young I told the. Areers advisor I wanted to stay home but get money so decided I would go on the dole. So in a way childminding is my childhood dream, I stay at home and get money :)
If I gave up (and I can't see that happening anytime soon) I'd like a job that stays at work and doesn't come home with me like being on the til in waitrose.