PDA

View Full Version : Toys/resources for a 4 year old

Tinkerbell1979
04-05-2013, 07:06 AM
Morning!

In September I am taking on a little girl who starts full time school in September.

I only have two mindees at the minute, 14 and 19 months.

I have 3 children of my own but 2 boys and a soon to be 3 year old so I have no toys/ resources for her age and tbh have no clue what girls that age are into.

Can anyone share ideas of what they have please? I'll have her Mon-Fri 3.20-5.30.

TIA

VeggieSausage
04-05-2013, 07:18 AM
Crafts and dressing up....

loocyloo
04-05-2013, 07:37 AM
dolls/dolls houses
tea sets/role play
one of mine was into horses, and with another we played schools quite alot.

and LOTS of paper/pens & scissors! and be prepared for lots of little bits of paper EVERYWHERE! :laughing:

although my girls play with the lego/duplo, puzzles, board games, and in fact pretty much everything & anything anyone else is playing with. if she is just starting school she might want to come home and play with toys that do not 'stretch' her, that she can just relax with and enjoy.

supermumy
04-05-2013, 07:56 AM
Agree with loocyloo

Petshrinklj
04-05-2013, 08:12 AM
The 4 year old girls i know like Drawing , dressing up. Creative things sticking painting play doh etc. Playground games like tig, bull dogs charge hide n seek etc. A 4 year old will be pretty good at telling you what they want to do as well.

littlemiss60561
04-05-2013, 08:37 AM
My 4 yo loves small world and anything role play. Craft esp clay anything messy really and beads. Mud pies and music. As said already , they are pretty good at telling you. Maybe during settling in sessions you could look through a toy catalogue to gage her responses to certain toys?

Optimalstar
04-05-2013, 06:01 PM
I just asked my 3 year old what her favourite thing to do is? She replied 'paint a picture'

phoenix2010
04-05-2013, 06:09 PM
lots of craft , assuming she likes that sort of thing

baking and cake decorating , clay sculpting , hamma beads , jewellery making , collages , glass painting , plaster of paris models ,
leappad, games on the laptop, story writing , paint by numbers , fuzzy felt , activity books

outdoors.....skipping rope , hula hoops , planting seeds ,

Maza
04-05-2013, 07:09 PM
arts and crafts of all kinds, sand and water, climbing, cooking, playing school, gardening. x

AmandaKess
06-05-2013, 08:39 PM
I think crafts, and art supplies are the most popular choice. Obviously when you know her a little better you can decide what else would be good for her, but for now I would just order a bunch of art supplies.

I just buy whatever I see that might be good for the mindees, and then scour pinterest for a fun craft for us :).