PDA

View Full Version : How muchan I expected to do - only have girl an hour and a half a day

mmichellled
03-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Hi All

I am taking on two mindees soon for on average 3 mornings a week. This is temprary until I am no longer available and have found a FT contract. I will have the eldest an hour before she starts nursery and half an hour after she finishes, so this will also include the travel time. I am just wondering how much I am expected to demonstrate in terms of the EYFS learning and development areas/ development matters. Is anyone else in a similar position? Thanks

Stapleton83
03-05-2013, 09:20 PM
You will still need to do some observations/planning but the amount of time you are spending with them means you are not going to be able to do a huge amount anyway.

I had a couple of after schoolies but my DO said there was a limit to how much I could do, it may be worth asking the nursery if there is anything you can liaise with them on in terms of activities etc as this would illustrate your working in partnership as well as helping the LOs development.

Sam x

sarah707
04-05-2013, 07:14 AM
The requirement to complete paperwork for very part time children is putting a lot of childminders off taking on this type of contract, which I think is sad when parents need us and we are in the lucky position of being able to offer flexible places.

I would say take a sensible approach. The child is hardly with you so you don't really know them very well - and cannot presume to 'teach' them that much in an hour.

Write up the child's routine - that covers a lot of the EYFS before you start thinking about planning!

Then offer the child a scrap book to put photos, activities, special times etc inside.

Where possible liaise with the other setting and add notes in the scrap book about what the child is doing there.

Hth :D