PDA

View Full Version : advice please regarding nappy changing

donnahay0
03-07-2008, 09:26 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this message.

I'm wondering if anybody could suggest anything I might try with my 1 year old mindee who absolutely hates having his nappy changed. He's afantastic happy little lad. My problem occurs at every nappy changing - he screams the place down and struggles to get away. I have tried talking to him, singing, giving him different objects of interest to try and distract him, letting him have a favourite toy etc. Whatever I give him he just throws it away in a right old temper rage. As soon as the nappy change is done he is as happy as can be again.

If anybody walked past my house at this time they would think I was trying to murder him - he is very loud.

His Dad and Nanny have also agreed how difficult it is but sometimes there are two of them to occupy him so it isn't always so bad, but generally a struggle.

My worry is having an Ofsted inspection and having to change his nappy. Trying to chat or sing songs with him at this time only stresses him out more and in the middle of an inspection it would stress me out far too much.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated to save my poor old ears.

Banana
03-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Sorry I cant help with what to do as it sounds like you have tried everything.

However, an ofsted inspector is not going to mark you down because the child doesnt like having his nappy changed and creates a fuss.

I hope that he gets better about it soon, i know how awkward they can make nappy changing when they dont want it done!

xx

ajs
03-07-2008, 09:37 PM
there's very little you can do about it sorry my 11 month old screams as if you're murdering her
so i blow bubbles on her tummy then quickly whip the nappy off and on while talking to her.
like lana says i am sure ofsted won't mark you down on it though as all babies go through it

Pipsqueak
03-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Some children don't like having their nappy changed period! Fraid there is nothing else for it but to get on with it.
If he has been used to two people doing a nappy change (one entertaining him the other changing) then he is grabbing lots of attention (clever little beggar). Sounds like Nanna and dad are playing straight into his hands.
I would be very matter of fact about it, tell him that there are two ways of doing it the hard way (screaming and carrying on) or the easy quick way - can you change him on across your knees or is he too big.

Turn the tables and start praising him for being a big/good boy when he has a nappy change - ohh you didn't wiggle well done.

Some children don't like the sudden temperature change on their nether regions - escpecially if they are wet/damp and they have a cold baby wipe heading that way as well - would you like it? Talk about chilly willies.:)

donnahay0
03-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Thans guys I'm probably worrying over nothing and i'm lucky he's not screaming all day.

madasahatter
03-07-2008, 09:59 PM
I have had a few little ones over the years that have gone through a phase of screaming blue murder when it comes to nappy changes. Others that you need a set of octopus tentacles to stop wriggling. Unfortunately I've found you can't do anything about it except wait for the phase to pass (a different one will come along soon).

Good luck
If all else fails turn some music up loud to mask the screams then the neighbours won't think you're murdering him/her.

Heaven Scent
03-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Gosh thats probably one of the only time in the day that my screamer is quiet because he has my full attention - just how he likes it the awl leech.:laughing: :laughing:

Pedagog
04-07-2008, 07:43 AM
Do you lay him down to change him, I ask because my eldest (now 16) used to hate being laid down for nappy changes, so I used yo let him stand up, with a book.

Pauline
04-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Ofsted won't mark you down for him crying at having his nappy changed, it is how you deal with that screaming that will effect they opinion!!

So, talk soothingly, explain to him that you have to change his nappy to keep him clean and give him a cuddle afterwards with lots of praise for having it done. Not easy through all the screaming I know, but at least the inspector will see that you are aware that it is a problem and are trying to soothe him.
:)

carrieboo
04-07-2008, 08:54 PM
As said already try changing him standing up. It is tricky but they do seam to preffer it when they are going through this phase.

Caroline