PDA

View Full Version : Spitting food!

KatieFS
03-05-2013, 01:22 PM
What would you do if a child spits food out? 2.5 yr old one of twins. She has done this quite regularly for a while. I've explained we don't do that here, if you don't like it is ok, makes me feel sad when you do this. I'm having general problems with her eating anything (as is mum)
Any suggestions?

sarah707
03-05-2013, 04:06 PM
I used to have one who spit food - I would take the plate away and give little mouthfulls so he ate one before I gave him the next.

He soon learned it wasn't going to get the attention he wanted and stopped :D

jackie 7
03-05-2013, 06:21 PM
Oh dear you are not hungry if youbspit your food out. Well let me clean you up and get down. Shame you do t want anything else. Spit your food out here and then the meal is finished. Like Sarah's idea.

supermumy
03-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Give smaller portions and if still continues take plate away and no dessert :)
You and mum need to agree on the same tactics so you can both do them together

Tinkerbell1979
03-05-2013, 07:01 PM
I take the food away

KatieFS
03-05-2013, 07:09 PM
I like it! Thanks all. Will discuss with mum x

Supernanny86
03-05-2013, 11:44 PM
One of the twins I look after does this. He's very reluctant to chew food anyways. I don't think he does it to be naughty, I just don't think he wants to chew it anymore (not talking steak, just toast etc!) I've tried smaller pieces, one piece at a time, actually sitting encouraging him to chew! He's 18m any ideas welcome as it infuriates me when he spits it out!! (I'm not sure he'd understand if I took food away) although that's what i would do with other twin as they're totally different understanding wise!!

Hope this makes sense!

CLL
04-05-2013, 06:45 AM
Sometimes children just don't like the food or find something's unpleasant to swallow. As a first step I would listen to the child's views on why they are spitting it out. record what they say about the food, if anything. I would keep a diary for 2 weeks and record what they eat fine and what they spit out. My son used to spit out the protein as he didn't like to swallow it. Once you find out what they don't like you could maybe cook it in a different way to make it easier to swallow. If they still spit it out then I would do as others suggest and remove the food.