PDA

View Full Version : Apprentice, assistant or co childminder

KatieFS
01-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Hi

You might have seen other posts from me on this, and I'm still thinking what way is best. Some advice on what route you guys have gone and how it works for you in practise.
Ideally I'd like another pair of hands here to cover peak days/times or to free one if us for school run or nursery runs.
Also I'm thinking if taking a family member in as assistant or co childminder. We are going to have a meeting later this month to discuss. Any advice on this. My main concern is what happens if she is off such, how will I manage if we have 4 little ones here to get other children to school. And what happens if parent gives notice.
General advice and stories....

kp0781
02-05-2013, 05:35 AM
No advise but I'm in the same position so be interested to see replies. My main concern is his much to pay and ensuring I have enough business to cover the hours and still make a profit out of it. Would only consider as a way to expand financially. I'm hoping it would help with school runs, paperwork and bouncing ideas off each other. Would be nice to have an actual adult in the house too!!!

oxfordshirecm
02-05-2013, 08:02 AM
I have an assistant (have done since October) and pay her £7 per hour 8.30 to 4pm mon to fri. She is wonderful we get on so well and has been so helpful not only with the school run but also occupying the kids whilst I make dinner or do daily diaries etc. she is now 20 weeks pregnant so been looking for cover and found someone finally. I have been lucky as when a Mindee has given notice another came along soon after. During the holidays I tend to have less children (lots of term only kids) so she has had taken unpaid holiday (as she is self employed) so didn't need to worry about finding the money to pay her. Did take a whole to find someone as I was completely honest upfront about how it would work etc. but if you can find someone that's willing to work like this it's certainly worth while. Ow and my father in law is my emergency assistant (crb checked, first aid and permission from parents) in case assistant calls in sick etc - you will def need a back up

KatieFS
02-05-2013, 03:24 PM
Thank you very helpful! What training did she need to get, what does she need in place eg crb I assume?
How does it affect your numbers? Are all her holidays unpaid?
Do you sign a contract with her, such as sickness timekeeping etc?

kp0781
02-05-2013, 08:45 PM
Oxfordshirecm if you don't mind me asking what's your hourly rate? For me that would be the best part of 2 children

oxfordshirecm
02-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Thank you very helpful! What training did she need to get, what does she need in place eg crb I assume?
How does it affect your numbers? Are all her holidays unpaid?
Do you sign a contract with her, such as sickness timekeeping etc?

I have trained her myself in the early years framework (I'm with Morton Michael insurance and they have training clips for members) all she has in first aid and crb check. Had to fill in the ey2 form (I think it's called that- form is here on free resources) I have a contract with her but she is self employed so free to work whether she wants technically. Being self employed I don't pay her sick pay or holiday

oxfordshirecm
02-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Oxfordshirecm if you don't mind me asking what's your hourly rate? For me that would be the best part of 2 children

Yes that's the same for me- I have 6 ey children daily - I'm lucky that each child comes for at least 8 hours and have filled my spaces with no gaps. My Dh finishes work at 4pm so my assistant goes home and he takes over - he is down as my assistant too. So that's where I make up the money as the children are here often for 10 hours a day but only have to pay assistant for 7.5- if that makes sense?

vals
02-05-2013, 09:48 PM
My daughter was employed by a childminder as an apprentice. She paid her the minimum apprentice wage which is really low for the first year. As well as that, as an incentive to get apprentices into workplaces she was given some funding, the training was also funded. Once she had her first aid she was allowed to have more children, so all in all it was financially very good for the childminder. It was a term time only arrangement -which meant she didn't have to give her time off for holidays - not sure how legal that bit was. She also didn't pay sick pay. Towards the end I think she found out that some of that was wrong and paid her a bit extra but not sure.
The downfall was when my daughter had to have her appendix out and she couldn't find cover for the children. I think this was quite stressful. Also, as an apprentice, the pay goes up in the 2nd year, so it wasn't going to work out quite so well so she ended the contract.

KatieFS
03-05-2013, 05:32 AM
My hourly rate is £5.50 an hour. Paying £7 ph sounds fair as assistant. Ill have a good look at the forms. I hope to spk to her over wkend and make a decision in next few weeks what to do! So much to think about I've woken up so early!!!
Yes I am worried about her not turning up or being late so will need to be very honest and upfront about expectations and contract is only way ahead I think. Would she have to pay for first aid too?

oxfordshirecm
03-05-2013, 07:21 AM
Not sure- I went with St. John's so that's what my assistant did too- it cost £114 which I know is quite expensive for first aid but I wanted a reputable company and course was five mins down the road.

It is very stressful trying to work it all out and the worry about the what ifs. It was stressful trying to find a maternity cover but think I finally have subject to her passing a crb :)

jadavi
03-05-2013, 01:42 PM
I went with minimum pay and added a bit.

I have a regular assistant plus another who will fill in if needed for holiday or sickness.
First aid course was provided by the county and after Ofsted have approved them, they can be alone with the mindees for up to two hours.
It makes such a difference having a colleague