PDA

View Full Version : Fencing off part of the garden

JoRo163
01-05-2013, 06:47 PM
I have several tree stumps at the end of my garden and a step that really needs fixing. But waiting forever for my landlord to do work which is their responsibility. So,I'm considering fencing off the end of the garden to make the area safe for mindees to use, without fear if an accident.

Can I claim the cost of this, or even just partial cost? I'm sure I read somewhere that fencing isn't an allowable expense, but I am only doing it for the safety if mindees and wouldn't do it otherwise. Any ideas?

shortstuff
01-05-2013, 06:50 PM
I have several tree stumps at the end of my garden and a step that really needs fixing. But waiting forever for my landlord to do work which is their responsibility. So,I'm considering fencing off the end of the garden to make the area safe for mindees to use, without fear if an accident.

Can I claim the cost of this, or even just partial cost? I'm sure I read somewhere that fencing isn't an allowable expense, but I am only doing it for the safety if mindees and wouldn't do it otherwise. Any ideas?

Didnt want to read and run, but I'm not sure. I would be interested to find out though as I am thinking of doing similar.

clareelizabeth1
01-05-2013, 07:30 PM
I fenced of some garden so dogs couldn't get near mindies and my accountant popped it through.

sarah707
02-05-2013, 04:34 PM
It's what they call a 'grey area'.

Some HMRC advisors say you can claim if you wouldn't have done it unless you were childminding - others say it's not an allowable expense.

I suggest you ring them and get their word on it - ask for name of person and note the date and time :D

Sarsar3NCH
02-05-2013, 10:26 PM
I went to some childminding training by HMRC inspector and she said fencing is a no-no unless it is for safety reasons. Her example was if Ofsted would stop you using garden without it, she said as long as you have a written explanation of why then you can argue the point, including photos if necessary

ziggy
11-05-2013, 01:19 PM
i'm about to have a part of my garden fenced off just for mindees, i dont have young children of my own and wouldnt be doing it if i wasnt a childminder so i am going to claim for it

JoRo163
13-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Thank you all! Well I think I will take a few pics of the area to be fenced off, including the tree stumps where mindees are climbing up and include an RA.

I've had a quote & think I'll go ahead and put it through my books. After all, I am only getting it done for the safety of mindees, and wouldn't be getting it done otherwise.

dawn100
13-05-2013, 11:03 PM
When we had a HMRC inspector come to talk about tax they said you could only claim for it if it was temopary/ removable (we were a bit baffled by removable fencing), so if its a permanent fixture no but if it was to be removed when no long a childminder then yes. She made it about clear as mud but I think that's because it is a bit of a grey area she also went on to say that you coułdnt claim for perimeter fence but could claim to fence an area of the garden off for childminding.

JoRo163
14-05-2013, 07:14 AM
When we had a HMRC inspector come to talk about tax they said you could only claim for it if it was temopary/ removable (we were a bit baffled by removable fencing), so if its a permanent fixture no but if it was to be removed when no long a childminder then yes. She made it about clear as mud but I think that's because it is a bit of a grey area she also went on to say that you coułdnt claim for perimeter fence but could claim to fence an area of the garden off for childminding.

It's not for the perimeter, it's just to fence off the end area of the garden, which is causing a problem with the tree stumps. I wouldn't be considering it if I wasn't childminding

Petshrinklj
14-05-2013, 08:59 AM
Oh this is interesting. I'm in process of creating a tree stump area because I thought the kids would enjoy climbing on them. Like a mini obstacle course. Is this a really bad idea then?

Could you speak to landlord about the work if they have agreed to remove them for you and fix step but haven't got around to it. Maybe if you suggest to them you could find someone to do it if landlord will pay for the work. Anyway hope you get it sorted

SammySplodger
14-05-2013, 09:29 AM
I have just put a length of pickett fence and a gate in my garden for safety reasons - change of level & separation from dog / washing line / trip hazard crazy paving. Would not have done it otherwise and would remove if not Childminding. Therefore will be including in accounts.