PDA

View Full Version : What can i claim for childminding car

adedwards68
01-05-2013, 09:29 AM
I know there have been posts on this before but if i buy a car for childminding use only what can I claim if I don't go down the 45p a mile route
car insurance
MOT
Tax petrol
The actual car
Service and repairs?

Chatterbox Childcare
01-05-2013, 10:35 AM
Everything related to the car

MOT
Service
Repairs
Valets
Petrol
Car Wash
Breakdown Cover
Interest on Loan
Capital Depreciation

Remember that you can only claim the BUSINESS percentage and not all of it.

My advice is to keep your receipts and mileage until the end of the financial year and work out which way is best. Your percentage will fluctuate each year so be aware as once you start mileage or depreication you have to keep going with it until you stop using your car for business

Louise_Oaktree
01-05-2013, 10:40 AM
There is a help sheet on the hmrc site, I will look for it later and post a link, just off to collect from pre-school...I have just bought a car just for minding and can claim a percentage of the cost each year, it isn't much but all helps.

lauraring1
01-05-2013, 12:23 PM
I phoned hmrc and asked the same question, the answer I got was: as long as the car is only used for your childminding business you can claim for everything, when I put my return in for 2011/2012 year I was also allowed to put 10% of car purchase price for that year, then I think it's 8 or 9% for tax year 2012/2013 and the percentage of purchase price goes down each year... Hope this helps....

Louise_Oaktree
02-05-2013, 03:11 PM
BIM47701 - Measuring the profits (specific rules and practices) - receipts and deductions: specific deductions - travel and subsistence: use of vehicle - mileage rates - introduction (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/BIM47701.htm)

HM Revenue & Customs: Capital allowances on plant and machinery (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/capital-allowances/plant.htm)

You have to scroll down quite a way but the amount claimed for car purchase now depends on emissions, but as an example:

Cost of car = £20,000
Writing-down allowance deducted (£20,000 x 10 per cent) = £2,000
Value to carry forward = £18,000
Capital allowance you can claim = £2,000

Taken from hmrc site - it is a lot more complicated if you do not use the car only for business use...

I phoned hmrc and asked the same question, the answer I got was: as long as the car is only used for your childminding business you can claim for everything, when I put my return in for 2011/2012 year I was also allowed to put 10% of car purchase price for that year, then I think it's 8 or 9% for tax year 2012/2013 and the percentage of purchase price goes down each year... Hope this helps....