PDA

View Full Version : Website tips

kp0781
30-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Any tips on setting up a website? Have no experience at all but figure I can work it out. Want to ensure people can find me easily. I have no vacancies at the mo but want to be prepared!! Also want to use for information sharing. Thanks

phoenix2010
30-04-2013, 08:55 PM
I have a wix website , its free and was really easy to do

however I have no idea how "visible " I am online , I tend to show up in searches for my facebook page or ads ive posted with various online free sites

So although the website looks all lovely and fancy I dont find it the most effective way to get my name out there , that would be facebook :D

good luck though , its alot of fun I can pm you a link if you like so you can see what it might look like

Rick
30-04-2013, 09:04 PM
I use moonfruit and there are helpful tutorials on there. Never in a million years did I think I could do my own website and for free!

As Phoenix says, not sure how visible it is on searches but I've posted here there and everywhere and seem to come up that way. One of my parents found my website and phoned me up so it is possible!

I think they are a good idea because it allows parents to have a look at what you're offering before thy come. Also once it's done it's done aside from a bit of tweaking.

Louise_Oaktree
30-04-2013, 09:06 PM
You can register for a domain name which you can link to your free site so it appears in search engines more easily. I think mine is about £20 for 2 years but it has my location and the word childminder in the address so it comes up near the top when people search x

angeldelight
30-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Any tips on setting up a website? Have no experience at all but figure I can work it out. Want to ensure people can find me easily. I have no vacancies at the mo but want to be prepared!! Also want to use for information sharing. Thanks

What about asking our own lovely Pauline?

She does them and she is not expensive

Childminders and Childminding Websites (http://childminderswebsites.co.uk/)

Angel xx

MiniKins
01-05-2013, 09:53 AM
You can always register a domain name and simply link it to a facebook page, so when you type ABCchildminding.co.uk (or whatever name you choose), your facebook page will display. Later, when you have produced your website, just change the link to that.

There are lots of free sites as mentioned in this thread, or blogging sites (Blogger, WordPress) that use simple templates to make pages. Also, think about if your parents will access via a phone, in which case you might want to make it 'mobile friendly'.

I've always used 1and1.co.uk, you can register a .co.uk domain for only £0.99p for the first year and £2.99 a year after. A bonus is that it will also give you five corresponding e-mail addresses you can use on your stationery e.g. enquires@ABCchildminding.co.uk, info@ABCchildminding.co.uk etc. and they will forward to whatever existing addresses you have (extra handy if you are in the habit of often changing your e-mails).

If you want a full e-mail package that's only an extra £0.69p a month on top.

Start searching for a name here: https://www.1and1.co.uk/Instant

kp0781
01-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Thanks everyone. Lots to think about and some really good tips :-)

shortstuff
01-05-2013, 09:33 PM
I paid a local small business to sort mine for me. Hes done something where im always on the first page when searching the local area. Whether its ofsted registered or childminder. Think they called it optimisation x. Hth

Rick
02-05-2013, 06:52 AM
I paid a local small business to sort mine for me. Hes done something where im always on the first page when searching the local area. Whether its ofsted registered or childminder. Think they called it optimisation x. Hth

Also you can appear on the first page of results if you sign up for Google Places which is free. You appear on Google Maps as well.

Petshrinklj
02-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Also you can appear on the first page of results if you sign up for Google Places which is free. You appear on Google Maps as well.

Oh didn't know that. Thanks. Will add that to my to do list

Rick
02-05-2013, 07:09 PM
Oh didn't know that. Thanks. Will add that to my to do list

If you type in childminder, google knows your location and a list of local childminders comes up on the top of the first page.

shortstuff
02-05-2013, 10:57 PM

Nice one thanks :-)