PDA

View Full Version : Ratio..... Is this legal

tgabriellep
30-04-2013, 03:17 PM
I'm newly qualified, I have ment a childminder done the road who has the follow children

Boy -3months
Boy - 18 months
Boy - 3yrs
Boy - 3 yrs
Girl -3yrs
Girl- 6 yrs

I asked her about it and she says she allowed 6 kids and from October any amount once you can prove you are managing

clareelizabeth1
30-04-2013, 03:26 PM
It is as long as it is continunuity(sp) of care. If she had three of them on one day and three on another she could then combine the two as long as she could prove she could cope. Or if it is current mindies siblings starting to be minded then that's ok as long as it doesn't go above 6 under 8's

If it is new business then it is not allowed.

tgabriellep
30-04-2013, 03:30 PM
It's all new business started, 2 kids are hers the 3 month old boy and 3yrs old girl, but all the rest started within the past 3 weeks

peppa Pig
30-04-2013, 03:43 PM
I'm sure there's alot of people who don't fully understand the new rules and going over numbers.

Rick
30-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Get on the phone to Ofsted then. It sounds like she is either being deceitful or somehow has the wrong idea about what is allowed :mad:

phoenix2010
30-04-2013, 04:03 PM
unfortunately its happening , I had a childminder friend who thought she didnt have to include her own 2 children under 8 in her numbers and had 5 under 5s the other day

I put her straight but whether she has done anything about it I dont know , and its all new business :( and she needs to give notice to 2 parents as far as I could work out

Rick
30-04-2013, 04:07 PM
unfortunately its happening , I had a childminder friend who thought she didnt have to include her own 2 children under 8 in her numbers and had 5 under 5s the other day

I put her straight but whether she has done anything about it I dont know , and its all new business :( and she needs to give notice to 2 parents as far as I could work out

How does this happen? She shouldn't be childminding if she doesn't know the rules! :censored:

phoenix2010
30-04-2013, 04:07 PM
I'm newly qualified, I have ment a childminder done the road who has the follow children

Boy -3months
Boy - 18 months
Boy - 3yrs
Boy - 3 yrs
Girl -3yrs
Girl- 6 yrs

I asked her about it and she says she allowed 6 kids and from October any amount once you can prove you are managing

eeerm , any amount ?? no I dont think so , that would be madness !!

As far as Im aware you can still only have 6 under 8s ,

I think the new certificates with no details on them seem to have given alot of childminders the idea that there are no longer any restrictions and they can have as many children as they like , whatever ages

It actually makes my blood boil

chriss
30-04-2013, 04:12 PM
So in total, 6 under 8 yrs old. Of these 6 children, 3 can be in the EYs (under 5) and 1 can be under 1yr . Am asking not telling :panic:

phoenix2010
30-04-2013, 04:20 PM
So in total, 6 under 8 yrs old. Of these 6 children, 3 can be in the EYs (under 5) and 1 can be under 1yr . Am asking not telling :panic:

thats right , and dont forget your own children are included in that , some people I know think their kids dont count if they are at school or nursery

tgabriellep
30-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Oh dear, I was stood there questioning myself but because I'm newly qualified so I didn't want to push it. I'll make the call tomorrow

hectors house
30-04-2013, 08:45 PM
If it is continuity of care eg: I look after 6 different children over the course of the week and if for some reason they all wanted to change/increase days and all wanted to come on a Monday then I would be allowed to do this, providing I had carried out a variation and notified all parents, risk assessed etc. But would I want to?

No thank you - I do have 4 on a Monday which works well as I have taken into account the ages/abilities and friendship groups, I hate my double buggy so have no intention of getting a triple and I haven't got a 7 seater car.

I think some childminders heard on the news initially the change of ratios that was being proposed for childminders and thought it was happening - so may have taken on new business, also the removal of conditions from certificates has confused lots of people too.

I would maybe report this person to your local development officer (if you have one) rather than Ofsted as you don't want to make an enemy of this person if she lives locally - she may just need some guidance.

Marshmallow
30-04-2013, 10:51 PM

:panic::panic: 5 Under 5 !!! I'd like to see her Daily Dairies, Obs, trackers etc etc

Rick
01-05-2013, 07:15 AM
:panic::panic: 5 Under 5 !!! I'd like to see her Daily Dairies, Obs, trackers etc etc

Assuming she does some :D

charlottenash
01-05-2013, 09:32 AM
Even if she was allowed them, she should show some common sense and not take them all on. No way their getting everything they need to fulfil EYFS.

Also you can include your child as a 5yo if they are in full time school even if they are only 4.

JCrakers
01-05-2013, 09:39 AM
I had 5 under 5 for one day (7hrs) ...never again :)

Couldn't do it all the time, there's no way I could have done anything regarding paperwork, it was just a day of sheer rushing about like a loon.
I didn't even manage to fill out daily diarys that day

Chatterbox Childcare
01-05-2013, 10:38 AM
I wouldn't even want this, let along a new minder doing it ):

tgabriellep
01-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Thanks for all the comments.

phoenix2010
01-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Even if she was allowed them, she should show some common sense and not take them all on. No way their getting everything they need to fulfil EYFS.

Also you can include your child as a 5yo if they are in full time school even if they are only 4.

Indeed but they still count in your overall number

migimoo
01-05-2013, 08:40 PM
I can understand how people are becoming confused...I rang my DO to clarify that I could have 5 LO's under 5 in December (an hour overlap on 2 days) and tbh I got the feeling she wasn't too clear on it herself.

She said the ratios were the same (3 under 5's,3 over) any increase in ratios was only for existing children/siblings and the only actual change is that we won't have to apply for a variation but can 'self-assess'.....does this sound right??

supermumy
01-05-2013, 09:18 PM

So my 4yr old is in full time school so does she get counted as a over 5?

mrstom
01-05-2013, 09:25 PM
So my 4yr old is in full time school so does she get counted as a over 5?

Yes, she is a 'rising 5' so counts in your 5-8yr old bracket x

phoenix2010
02-05-2013, 11:04 AM
I can understand how people are becoming confused...I rang my DO to clarify that I could have 5 LO's under 5 in December (an hour overlap on 2 days) and tbh I got the feeling she wasn't too clear on it herself.

She said the ratios were the same (3 under 5's,3 over) any increase in ratios was only for existing children/siblings and the only actual change is that we won't have to apply for a variation but can 'self-assess'.....does this sound right??

yes thats my understanding of it , your numbers still stand , that hasnt changed , but instead of having to apply for variations (same rules as before) you dont have to inform OFSTED anymore as long as you do a risk assessment and inform parents

I thought that even with a variation the limit of under 5s is still 4 children , however in Sept that may increase to 5 for limited periods of time / crossovers etc

The problem is until it actually happens I dont think anyone knows for sure

jillplum
02-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Thats how I understand it yes. In my head I think would ofsted have said yes to this? If its yes then its ok if not then its a no.:D