PDA

View Full Version : can i become a childminder??

FiLou06
30-04-2013, 10:49 AM
hi, my name is Fiona, im 27 and have 2 children aged 6 and 4.
im doing a p/t degree at the moment at warwick uni and i work p/t at a day nursery.
i love working with children but i am not earning enough to survive and also i feel like im not doing the best i can for the children that i care for at the day nursery at the moment due to things that i cant control (im not in charge basically)
i am passionate about creating better outcomes for all children and my ultimate goal is to become a teacher - but ive got another 5 years study yet until that is possible!
in the meantime i have been thinking about becoming a childminder working 3 full days a week. the only thing is i live in a semi with a great garden but no extra room downstairs that i could use as a separate space for the children. i have a living room and a large kitchen/diner downstairs and then 2 double bedrooms and a single upstairs.
would this space be sufficient for now? how do other people do it in relation to creating an enabling environment for the children they look after?

Fiona :-)

scottishlass
30-04-2013, 06:31 PM
Hi Fiona

I am a new childminder having registered in oct 12 but am in Scotland so is completely different set up for registering.

I can't see any reason why you can't use your home for childminding - lots of people childminding from their living room with no problems.

Good luck!
Mandy
Xx

Sarsar3NCH
30-04-2013, 06:32 PM
I'm sure someone with a better answer will come along soon but I'm sure there are lots of childminders (possibly most childminders) who don't have a dedicated childminding room. It's a case of getting some good storage for all the toys and equipment (ikea trofast and expedit are popular). Ofsted do have rules on space per child but I'm not sure off the top if my head of the exact square footage. Good luck, your local authority can point you in the right direction.

QualityCare
30-04-2013, 07:04 PM
There is no reason why you can't set up as a childminder l have a small kitchen and a large lounge/dining room, l set up every morning in the lounge area which is the biggest part of the room and clear every thing away at night, The childrens book corner is the only thing that is not moved away.

covgalxxx
30-04-2013, 07:51 PM
I am in training at mo. but my house is just like yours, so they better say yes.... But my dd went to a childminder years ago and her house was the same, so I can't see why not,

loocyloo
30-04-2013, 08:19 PM
when i started childminding i lived in a small 2 bed terraced house with a tiny kitchen and a lounge diner, with bathroom/2 bedrooms upstairs. toys used to get put out & tidied away into the understairs cupboard. travel cots in DS bedroom.
x

Rick
30-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Hi. There is no reason why you couldn't childmind. Bear in mind though that it can take 6 months to register and you have to do a course, paperwork, first aid etc etc before you can start. There are also start up costs (resources, safety equipment etc) before Ofsted will inpect. This thread may help.

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/starting-childminding-pre-registration-visits/117176-registering-childminder.html

adedwards68
30-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Hi. There is no reason why you couldn't childmind. Bear in mind though that it can take 6 months to register and you have to do a course, paperwork, first aid etc etc before you can start. There are also start up costs (resources, safety equipment etc) before Ofsted will inpect. This thread may help.

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/starting-childminding-pre-registration-visits/117176-registering-childminder.html

I would say it can take upto 12 months. If, like my local authority, your la runs the cypop5 termly then you need to book on the next available course I had to wait 4 months for that, then DBS checks took forever, having to apply for a waiver on one (not too worried about that as ofsted have previously waivered it) one got lost! 7 months has gone from when I first decided to apply and I still have no idea when I'll get registered. But I will get that
I'm not trying to put you off but it can be a long process having said that some people seem to do the process very quickly
Good luck

Rick
30-04-2013, 09:06 PM
I would say it can take upto 12 months. If, like my local authority, your la runs the cypop5 termly then you need to book on the next available course I had to wait 4 months for that, then DBS checks took forever, having to apply for a waiver on one (not too worried about that as ofsted have previously waivered it) one got lost! 7 months has gone from when I first decided to apply and I still have no idea when I'll get registered. But I will get that
I'm not trying to put you off but it can be a long process having said that some people seem to do the process very quickly
Good luck

Oh yes I agree if you include the time you have to wait for the course then it can take longer (I was lucky, the briefing was the week after and the course the week after that!). I think the point we are trying to make is, if you are only going to be doing this five years then is it something you really want to do, with all the initial expense and paperwork etc

halor
30-04-2013, 10:57 PM
I live in a teeny tiny 2 bedroom house and registered is February. I have a mid size living room, a tiny galley kitchen and a downstairs loo. The only other area I use is my bedroom but that's literally just to put a lo to sleep in a travel cot. I also have a small garden.

Ofsted were fine with it, I was limited to 5 instead of 6 children but Mrs O said I only missed out on the full quota by a metre (yes, she measured!)

Your house shouldn't be a problem whatsoever :-)

FiLou06
01-05-2013, 04:47 AM
Thankyou for the advice everyone!
I do feel a lot better now about the space that I have available. It may just be the case of being super organised and setting up and packing away each night.
I understand what you say about the long registration process and I'll be weary of that, but praying it won't take too long! I know I have a 5 year plan (as such) in terms of study but we'll just see how it goes. I am excited about the possibility now of being able to childmind. I just know that i need to do a lot before I'm registered.
Watch this space...:-)

Optimalstar
01-05-2013, 08:21 AM
I'd suggest making the most of your garden if it's a decent size. Role play, sand, water, gardening, mark making (brushes and water, chalks, even an art easel if you wish). Outdoor storage rather than in. All can be left set up as such. I'm sure they don't count the size of your garden in your available space as I guess on a really bad day it's possibly not usable but from a practical point of view for you it can become invaluable. I have a fairly decent sized house but I still use my garden as my main childminding area whenever it's possible, not down pouring or absolutely freezing. Coats and wellies are essential.

An idea would be to consider creating a covered area outside you could use when it is too wet. Just some thoughts on how to best use your available space and still retain the essence of a home without too much work ;) x good luck with it all x

busybee_mummy
01-05-2013, 12:01 PM
I think you will be fine, and organisation is key. I would also invest in a covered area, everything you can do inside, you can do in the garden, plus more!

Like you, i did a part time uni course with 2 lo's whilst working, and had a five year plan. However I love child minding and am earning a decent wage I've postponed doing my pgce indefinitely because I love being my own boss and enabling childrens learning my way!

Good luck x

Simona
01-05-2013, 03:03 PM
If you are going to register please do not forget you can apply for a grant...it's not much but anything helps!
Good luck

Childcare Business Grants Scheme - Home page (http://www.childcarebusinessgrants.dcms.gov.uk/)