PDA

View Full Version : writting a school apeal letter

jellytot
29-04-2013, 08:08 PM
Hiya, asking for a childminder friend. She has been asked to write a supporting letter for one of her mindees parents to support their appeal for primary admission, does anyone have any ideas what sort of things she should put in it that will differ from what playgroup will write in theirs, hoping to make different points as dont want the two letters to mirror each other or maybe that would be good if they are both saying the same things?

blue bear
29-04-2013, 08:18 PM
I've never written one but would have thought it best written from the point of view how the choice of school affects the child.
Is the child shy, is all their friends going to that school and their confidence will be knocked by not getting onto that school and in turn affect the potential to learn.
Are there any developmental concerns that would be best met by that particular school.
Would the child have to change childminders because the childminder cannot collect from another school.

ozzy10
29-04-2013, 09:14 PM
When I was little, my parents had to appeal for my school place they wrote a letter and then my mum and I sat down and I said why I wanted to go to that school and did a picture (I was 4) so only simple things but showed I had thought about it. I got into the school, I was the only 1 out of 4 of us who had to appeal and the only one who did this all the others were official parent only letters.

The Juggler
29-04-2013, 09:19 PM
i wrote one once - I threw the EYFS at them :laughing::laughing: basically child with Sen in nursery. speech delay. to go to the new school would have meant, new school, new friends, new childminder (as I coudln't do new school) and new SEN support. I basically approached the letter from the point of view of unique child and transitions and how badly this would affect him.

He went from 32 to 2nd on waiting list and got his place.

As someone else has said, def. do it from point of view of the child but also use the relevant bits of the EYFS and point out how moving to the other school woudl be a negative for them. :thumbsup: