PDA

View Full Version : taking picture?

adele1985
29-04-2013, 08:03 PM
ive always taken photos for obs ect on my mobile phones, I download them daily onto my laptop and then all childminding pics are deleted off my phone - ive but this in my safeguaring policy but after going on a safeguarding course tonight im not sure if im doing the right thing

there where alot of playgroup and nurseries at the meeting and it wasnt really clear if what the speaker was saying was also relelvent for childminders (i didnt want to ask as there was around 90+ people in the room)

the basics where
no one should b using their personal phones in work hours
no photos should be takn on personal phones
everyone should have a mobile phone policy

do u use your mobile for photos i dont realy want to buy a camera as ive laready got one on my phone

Becci26
29-04-2013, 08:07 PM
I use my phone all the time for taking photos, and like u upload them to the pc and delete them almost daily.

It is in my policy and as far as I'm aware it is ok to do this :)

Allie
29-04-2013, 08:13 PM
I use my mobile for all my childminding photos and have it near me at all times in case of emergency and the children and me google for answers during work hours e.g. do worms lay eggs?, parents also text me for child info or to inform me of changes to pick up etc. I tend to not answer the house phone so feel texting is essential for parents. I wouldn't allow an assistant (I don't have one) to use a mobile during work hours but would want them to carry one in case of emergency

Allie

moggy
29-04-2013, 08:25 PM
ive always taken photos for obs ect on my mobile phones, I download them daily onto my laptop and then all childminding pics are deleted off my phone - ive but this in my safeguaring policy but after going on a safeguarding course tonight im not sure if im doing the right thing

there where alot of playgroup and nurseries at the meeting and it wasnt really clear if what the speaker was saying was also relelvent for childminders (i didnt want to ask as there was around 90+ people in the room)

the basics where
no one should b using their personal phones in work hours
no photos should be takn on personal phones
everyone should have a mobile phone policy

do u use your mobile for photos i dont realy want to buy a camera as ive laready got one on my phone

That sound like a very nursery based view.
As lone workers, our personal phones/cameras are our 'business' phones/cameras.
I agree, a nursery worker should not use a personal phone in work hours for calls or photos, they would have a business camera/phone to use in work hours for work purposes.
You are doing the right thing. It would be nonsense to have a separate phone/camera and say it is your 'business' phone/camera and have a separate one for 'personal use'.

And whether you call it a 'camera' or a 'phone' or an 'i-doo-dah' or any other hand held electronic device does not matter- they are all converging technologies anyway.

blue bear
29-04-2013, 08:27 PM
In the case of the nursery where the worker used her phone for unspeakable wrong doings I can see why all nurseries would ban the use of personal mobile phones in an effort to tighten up safeguarding. they can usually have a normal phone for use of everyone in an office style environment and a mobile for outings where there is always at least two adults present.
It really does not make the children any safer by a childminder not using her personal mobile phone as we are sole workers, you need to refer to your use and the use of mobile phones of other people in your homes on your safeguarding policy, it is upto you whether you also do a separate mobile phone policy.

jackie 7
29-04-2013, 08:33 PM
I don't use my phone for childminding photos. Cameras are so cheap now.. I worry my phone will be stolen. Also yes you must have a camera and phone policy.

halor
29-04-2013, 08:38 PM
That sound like a very nursery based view.
As lone workers, our personal phones/cameras are our 'business' phones/cameras.
I agree, a nursery worker should not use a personal phone in work hours for calls or photos, they would have a business camera/phone to use in work hours for work purposes.
You are doing the right thing. It would be nonsense to have a separate phone/camera and say it is your 'business' phone/camera and have a separate one for 'personal use'.

And whether you call it a 'camera' or a 'phone' or an 'i-doo-dah' or any other hand held electronic device does not matter- they are all converging technologies anyway.

I-doo-dah love it!

kellyskidz!
30-04-2013, 08:51 AM
I use mine too, when camera bat is dead or (more likely!) I've left it at home. I'd hate to miss out on a great photo opportunity because of this. A camera is a camera, and parents love to see the monthly photos on display. I know that it's all for the children's well being but I think it's a shame that innocent genuine childminders feel unsure or guilty about taking photographs of children. I know I do in public, I'm always thinking make sure no other kids are in the photo, make sure no uniform logos are on display, like I say it's all in the kids best interests, it's just a shame that some sick people can make the rest of us feel uneasy

AliceK
30-04-2013, 10:17 AM
I use my phone for photos but I also have a mobile phone policy which mainly relates to anyone else on my premises not using mobile phones and children not using electronic equipment from home which has a camera or internet access. Mrs O was impressed with this policy.
Nurserys shouldn't be using mobile phones and they shouldn't have any reason to do so.

xxx

MiniKins
30-04-2013, 11:25 AM
You're allowed to record data using whatever device you choose so a mobile phone is fine, but you must defer to the Data Protection Act as it is the law!

You should already be registered with the ICO and need to follow their principals of data protection (your Policies and Procedures are not the 'be all and end all' here ~ whatever you state in them cannot contradict or limit your duty to ensure that data is dealt with appropriately).

You should think about keeping data safe, not holding more information than you need for the purpose you need it for, and that you have a 'breach-management plan' should data get lost, amongst other considerations.

Here is a good place to start:

Data Protection Principles - Guide to Data Protection - ICO (http://ico.org.uk/for_organisations/data_protection/the_guide/the_principles)

With regard to the three points you mention, were they just suggesting that this was the easiest way to comply with the requirements? (but not necessarily the only way)