View Full Version : Sick pay

29-04-2013, 06:27 PM
Hi I'm new to this site but would like some advice if possible... I broke my foot this weekend and can obviously not childmind...does anyone know if I can claim SSP??? As no work means no money...:(. Thanks

29-04-2013, 07:32 PM
I'm quite sure the answer is no:( however as your gonna be off for a while it might be worth a call to find out if theres anything else you can claim for?

Hope your ok x

29-04-2013, 07:38 PM
I recently was off for 6 weeks after an operation, I claimed and got it. I've only gone back to work this week and i notified them to stop it. I claimed over the phone and had to send in medical notes for the period. Its not a lot but still better than nothing.

29-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Thank you so much for your advice....who do I contact? Tasha x

29-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Hi everyone

Do you get it because you pay into national insurance

29-04-2013, 09:25 PM

I dislocated my knee last year and claimed ESA. If you call Telephone: 0800 055 6688 they should be able to help you.

The Juggler
29-04-2013, 09:35 PM
you normally can't claim SSP til you have been off sick for 5 days straight - I think. Best to check with helpline though. good luck

30-04-2013, 06:25 AM
Interesting thread, I always thought u couldn't claim sick pay if u were self employed, if u can I wish I had known about it sooner as I would have taken the time off I should have done instead of battling through the pain!

30-04-2013, 06:48 AM
You have to have been paying NI payments as its based on your NI credits for the previous 2 financial years (basically you have to have paid every month for the past 2 years to even be eligable for NI credits). You can phone the NI people at HMRC and they can tell you how many credits you have and you can apply to Job Centre to find out if they will accept your claim. I for instance was 1 month short of NI credits over the financial year and therefore my claim in March got rejected. Had I claimed now, cos I was then over 2 years id get it. x

30-04-2013, 06:51 AM
Years ago self-employed could not claim they did not have to pay national insurance, now its different and self employed have to pay NI so able to claim sick, along with maternity allowence etc

30-04-2013, 03:25 PM
I am thinking you have to have employers contributions to your NI account as well as your own, or have to pay class 3 contributions (we only pay class 2 and class 4).

30-04-2013, 04:45 PM
I phoned the job centre today and they said I could put in a claim for ESA...thank you all for your help xxx