PDA

View Full Version : The most annoying word ever...

Mouse
29-04-2013, 01:29 PM
WHY??

That's all I've heard this morning from one mindee. Actually, that's all I've heard for weeks now :rolleyes:

Everything is "why"

"why are we taking our shoes off"
"why are we painting"
"why have we finished painting"
"why aren't we going outside now"
"why are we outside now!"

I start off answering the questions, then switch to "why do you think?", before finally settling on "just because it is!"

Helen Dempster
29-04-2013, 01:32 PM
ha ha ha - I didn't even have to open this before I knew what the word was!

I have a little one at the moment where every other word is why, so I feel your pain!!!! :laughing:

doris127
29-04-2013, 01:37 PM
I have 2 sisters who ask why constantly. It really annoys me when I know they know the answer already so it often gets "you tell me" - I think they just like to talk - which is fine - but there's so many other things to talk about. I will admit that, on occasion on particularly trying days I have been known to tell them they've used up all their "why" questions for the day!!

Sarsar3NCH
29-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Me too! A 2.5 yr old.....perfectly understandable but also from a 4.5 yr old, sometimes asking why to his own comments. Ie 'Sarah can we have lunch now? '
'Yes J '
'Why?'

'Because you asked for it!!!'

I feel your pain :((

QualityCare
29-04-2013, 01:40 PM
we are going through the "why"phase at the moment also have a 5yr old who starts everything "well actually" and a 18mth old who points at the floor tuts and says "ooh mess" nanna has him 11/2 days a week thats where that comes from:D

kellib
29-04-2013, 01:49 PM
I have a 4 year old who constantly says it, it drives me crazy!

Thankfully she only comes once a fortnight lol!

WibbleWobble
29-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Why not?

I have a two year old who uses this word a lot!

Wibble the why'd out! Xxx

smurfette
29-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Me too! A 2.5 yr old.....perfectly understandable but also from a 4.5 yr old, sometimes asking why to his own comments. Ie 'Sarah can we have lunch now? '
'Yes J '
'Why?'

'Because you asked for it!!!'

I feel your pain :((

Lol!! So not funny for you tho!!

lynncjt
29-04-2013, 03:32 PM
I have a 2 1/2 year old who started this a few months back, quickly caught by all the other children... but also followed with 'why not' . Not sure which is the most annoying..!

gingerjames1
29-04-2013, 03:45 PM
And my favourite answer to the why question is because y has a tail!!! And then the silence for a few moments while they try to work out the mad answer!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

funemnx
29-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Why do children ask why when we've already told them why a hundred thousand million times before? Why is that? Why? :panic::huh:

Maza
29-04-2013, 04:39 PM
I actually feel my blood pressure rising when I hear it from DD. I don't mind if it's a sensible context but some days I can't even say the most random things without it being followed by that word. She has now clocked that I can't bear it and has changed it to "How?" I know in decades to come when I am no longer the centre of her universe I will be wishing myself back to why/how phase though. :)

Rick
29-04-2013, 05:30 PM
ha ha ha - I didn't even have to open this before I knew what the word was!

I have a little one at the moment where every other word is why, so I feel your pain!!!! :laughing:

.....same here! :laughing:

ozzy10
29-04-2013, 06:01 PM
My toddler went through this stage about 6 months ago. He could answer a question and turn it round and end up at why very confusing.

His latest when he wakes up is its tomorrow now mummy not today, today was yesterday.

rachelle
29-04-2013, 06:08 PM
I start singing 'why why why delilah' and they seem to give up asking!

Ooops!

MessybutHappy
29-04-2013, 06:30 PM
I have one who couples "why" with "no"....
Would you like to paint?
Why. Pause. No.

Would you like ice cream.
Why. Pause. No. Pause. Yes.

Hmm, I think I'll take your first answer.
Why. pause. No.

Aaaaarrrrrggggghhh!!

Gotta lurve 'em though!

littlemiss60561
29-04-2013, 10:27 PM
I respond with lots of why questions as soon as it starts to grate on me! One mindie does respond " because it is" to most questions!

mrs robbie williams
30-04-2013, 05:55 AM
ive got a 2 and half year old who says 'what?' to everything drives me up the wall, at first i wondered about her hearing but she hears when she wants to lol

kellyskidz!
30-04-2013, 08:41 AM
Worse when it's whined! As in changing a one syllable word into around eight.
Come on time to get our shoes on
Whyyyy-yyy-yyyy-yyyy-yy....y

Becci26
30-04-2013, 09:03 AM
Worse when it's whined! As in changing a one syllable word into around eight.
Come on time to get our shoes on
Whyyyy-yyy-yyyy-yyyy-yy....y

Oooohh I soo agreed with this!! Drives me potty lol

smurfette
30-04-2013, 09:04 AM
Two year old mindee this am 'why gobbledygook gobbledygook gobbledygook' and repeat! Only word can make out is why!!!!

kellib
30-04-2013, 10:45 AM
I have one LO today who is insisting on mumbling everything he says to me!

Don't know what's worse, that or 'why?'

hectors house
30-04-2013, 10:51 AM
i remember reading somewhere that children under a certain age (can't remember if it was 2 or 3 years) don't process the answer you give very fast, so they ask why again before they have understood that you have answered already - not sure "WHY" they then go on to ask same question another 5 times - they clearly didn't read the same article that I did!:D

Mouse
30-04-2013, 01:46 PM
i remember reading somewhere that children under a certain age (can't remember if it was 2 or 3 years) don't process the answer you give very fast, so they ask why again before they have understood that you have answered already - not sure "WHY" they then go on to ask same question another 5 times - they clearly didn't read the same article that I did!:D

I know it's a process they go through, but it doesn't make it any less annoying :p

Today it's been turning every last thing I say into a question:

Me: Let's go into the garden
X: why are we going into the garden?
Me: because it's a lovely day
X: why is it a lovely day?
Me: because the sun is shining and it's nice & warm
X: why is the sun shining and why is it nice & warm?
Me: Just go & get your shoes!

SYLVIA
30-04-2013, 04:47 PM
I have a LO who always says "Why" to every answer you give. I have actually started saying "No more Why questions"
after about the third answer and he seems to give up. Well it's worked this week so far anyway!

Petshrinklj
30-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Ha ha you jinx me. I read this thread before picking me son up from school and guess what he hasnt stop saying since I picked him up....

lizduncan72
30-04-2013, 06:10 PM
I have a three year old mindee that has 'why' as a default reply to everything!!! I've started saying I don't know, why don't you ask mummy! He remembers everything and comes out with a load of questions for mummy at pick up-she tells him to ask daddy lol :) poor child never gets any answers!!