PDA

View Full Version : Fostering & Childminding

chez1373
03-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Sorry dont know where i should put this..

I was thinking of being a foster carer as well as a childminder i send off an e.mail to NFA and i got a call back but when i told the lady i was a childminder she said i would have to choose between fostering and childminding i couldnt do both i told her there was no competition i love minding etc

But i know a childminder that is also a foster carer does anyone else know anything about this please

xx

sarah707
03-07-2008, 06:12 PM
I know at least 2 different childminders who are also foster carers.

Wonder why she said that? Think you should ring back and argue your case! :D

Michelle M
03-07-2008, 06:33 PM
I know a childminder who fosters 2 young children plus her own two and also minds other children, so I dont understand why they said that to you :)

angeldelight
03-07-2008, 06:40 PM
I was going to do fostering last year

They did say at the time that they would prefer that I did one or the other

I decided against it in the end anyway

But I do have a number of friends that have done or do both

Be a pest and call them back

Angel xx

brillminder
03-07-2008, 06:51 PM
thats is not fair . ask why not :)

Pauline
03-07-2008, 07:54 PM
I've heard that before, I wonder if it depends on your area? certainly worth asking why though.

stalbansminder
03-07-2008, 08:17 PM
I enquired about fostering and was told it would be fine. Was even told that being a CM would make the process quicker. Wierd.

Pudding Girl
03-07-2008, 09:20 PM
try a different agency, or the LA - I know of someone too who had to choose ( and chose fostering) she's been doing it for a good 5 yrs now and prefers it.

Seems a shame that you have to choose, I can partly understand why that may be though. It's more of a career now rather than just "kids living with you" and there's lots of training etc and of course it's a self emplyed job much like minding is.

Banana
03-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Thats interesting.
I thought you couldnt foster and childmind, I've been wanting to look into it for a while but thought I'd have to quit childminding.

Thanks for posting the question - and good luck with getting somewhere with it
x

caza
04-07-2008, 07:16 AM
I also know someone who used to childmind and foster. I would chase it up a bit more. Hope you manage to get yourself sorted :)

Pedagog
04-07-2008, 07:33 AM
I spoke to our local authority and told her I was registering as a childminder, and she said I could still become a foster carer.