PDA

View Full Version : Allowed chickens?

jadavi
29-04-2013, 06:06 AM
I'm considering starting chickens and was wondering if some towns don't allow this? We live in a town and have a small garden out back.
Anyone any ideas?

Tiny Trees
29-04-2013, 06:25 AM
I'm considering starting chickens and was wondering if some towns don't allow this? We live in a town and have a small garden out back.
Anyone any ideas?

Do you own your home? If so, it is wise to check your deeds for covenants relating to livestock. If not then ask landlord- most will say no though. Think carefully about it and the space they will have, my understanding is that ofsted don't like chickens free ranging the whole garden. Also, they will take up quite a bit of space even if in a cage/run, so think about the space that will be left for mindees. They trash the ground that they are on too. Quails would be easier- they lay eggs more consistently through the winter without added light and take up a lot less space. They can be tamed and held like other pets. We keep quails inside and chickens outside- we love them, but they are a lot of work, and quite expensive really to buy all of the kit and keep them going with food etc.

georgeypie07
29-04-2013, 06:28 AM
i looked into chickens a couple of months ago, some councils dont allow depending on youre area, so check with them first. also good idea to ask next door neighbours first (save any moaning from them at a later date) chickens arnt meant to be that noisy though!!!
:-)

Tiny Trees
29-04-2013, 07:01 AM
i looked into chickens a couple of months ago, some councils dont allow depending on youre area, so check with them first. also good idea to ask next door neighbours first (save any moaning from them at a later date) chickens arnt meant to be that noisy though!!!
:-)

Don't rely on that- lots of chickens are very noisy, particularly in the morning when they are laying eggs!

Ripeberry
29-04-2013, 07:55 AM
As others have said check your paperwork and local by-laws. I've kept chickens for over 10yrs now and we have a large garden. They take up a third of the garden, even though I've never had more than 4 chickens and at the moment have one chicken and two ducks. Don't ever get a cockerel, they are a total pain and are not needed to make the hens lay.
Chickens can be noisy, especially when they are startled and they will all do a loud clucking sound together for ages, before they calm down. Always best to keep them in their own fenced off area as they will decimate a garden if given half the chance. The initial outlay is high for equipment, but after that, food is not too expensive compared to cats and dogs (£8 for 25KG of layers pellets), the food lasts for almost two months or more.
You need to give them a full clean out at least once a month but each week just pick out the worst of the poo with gloves and replace with fresh wood shavings. :)

Petshrinklj
29-04-2013, 08:25 AM
I have chickens. They have a decent sized fenced off area. Like the others said they kill the grass with all there scratching around. Mine aren't noisy. I keep n top of poo so the area doesn't smell. Coops and runs are expensive maybe worth browsing second hand? May be best if check with council if you think they might no allowed it. The may be rules on how many you can have or if you plan on selling eggs. I'm getting some resscue batterry hens from British hen welfare trust. :) I love my chickens they have such character and are very friendly. Plus the eggs are good lol

nikki thomson
29-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Our neighbours had chickens and I was really intrested in having some but I have to say they do make a real mess, you would need a fenced off area as when I took mindees in next doors garden as they'd asked to see the chickens omg there was poo everywhere, I don't think they were very good at cleaning up after them, there children are teenagers but even so was put off I must admit, the patio was just abig pile of chicken poo.
So I decided against it, I have enough to do, but I do still like the idea. X

BuggsieMoo
29-04-2013, 12:15 PM
We're looking at getting chickens when we move (and ive found out the lady in front of me also keeps them). However I know a nursery in Oxfordshire who had chickens one term and they were gone the next as Ofsted told them to get rid. Dont know why but I know Ofsted were involved.

supermumy
29-04-2013, 12:28 PM
I'm nr central London and my neighbours jut got some kids think it great but not sure how he going to let it out as it has already flown over my fence to get at our veg garden grrr

FussyElmo
29-04-2013, 12:48 PM
I'm nr central London and my neighbours jut got some kids think it great but not sure how he going to let it out as it has already flown over my fence to get at our veg garden grrr

Tell him to clip their wings. Quick and painless and stops the birds flying over

Helen Dempster
29-04-2013, 01:37 PM
hello. I had chickens a couple of years ago (they've all passed away now). I had 3 of them, ex-battery farm ones, so we 'saved' them. I live in a rented house and my landlord was fine. One thing I would say though, is to get a nice big coop/run for them. I didn't have mine walking around the garden when the mindees were here as they do poop alot and I didn't think it was very hygienic! They also dig ALOT, so be prepared for that too - if you've got any nice flowers planted, you may want to either transfer them to a hanging basket, or put some kind of protection over them.

On a more positive note, all the mindees and my own sons LOVED having chickens! They all took turns collecting the eggs. They learnt so much.

Good luck in whatever decision you reach!

supermumy
29-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Tell him to clip their wings. Quick and painless and stops the birds flying over

We just had it over again kids love it but they do need to clip them

watgem
29-04-2013, 02:15 PM
we've been offered some of our neighbours chicks so this was a very informative post thank you:thumbsup: