PDA

View Full Version : life after childminding

Memina
27-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Hello,

Just a general discussion really. Was wondering if there is life after minding?

I became a childminder as I wanted to earn money and look after my own children. I was not expecting to fall in love with my job and now can't see me doing anything else.

However I have childminder friends who's children have left home and some are even grannies and I think they only do this job because they feel stuck and dont think they are employable anymore.

What are your thoughts?

JCrakers
27-04-2013, 04:28 PM
An interesting thread :)

I've worked with children since 19 which is nearly 20yrs. I've often wondered if there will come a point when I want a change from children as I get older. My own two are 11 and 14 and I'm still enjoying the job but will I always enjoy it. In 5-10yrs will I have had enough? Who knows

Truthfully at weekends and on holidays I like to get away from children....lol. probably because childminding is so full on, such long hours and having worked with children for so long I like a break from them :) that's an age thing for me, as I get older I need more 'me' time.
On occasion when I've had a really bad day and I have a moan to dh he always says why don't you get yourself a job in the school office or a little part time office job but who will employ me with no experience at all of office working or quals.
I can't see me doing anything else other than working with children as its what I trained to do and love with a passion but I could lose my mojo as I get older, getting more tired,less patience maybe and I've no idea what I'll do after???

shortstuff
27-04-2013, 04:37 PM
im new in and loving it, i actually wish i had started up 20 years ago. I don't see me getting bored any time soon.

If i do I will go back to temping in factories, night shift if DS is still young enough to need me, with no hesitation as I did nights for 15 out of 20 years of working.

If there is no night shift available I am also a qualified mortgage advisor although that is more paperwork than this and I hated that side of it, oh and the high pressure side of selling was awful.

vals
28-04-2013, 08:12 AM
I worked in a bank until I had my 2 nd child so I started childminding - this was before tax credits and 2 in childcare was too much. My job in the bank was well paid, but I didn't like the rules and not feeling in control. I love being my own boss as a chidminder, yes we have rules,but nothing like as petty, and to get paid for going to the beach or to play in the park is amazing. Only negative is my home being taken over, I would prefer to be able to shut it all away but my house isn't big enough for that. I am doing my level 3 at last, and may look at more qualifications after that. Not sure what I want to do with them, but feel it gives me more options - and keeps my mind active! Maybe I could do bank work - local nurseries often advertise,and I know one nursery at least that uses an agency a lot. I have thought about something with no pressure, maybe 2 evening shifts at a supermarket hehe, sounds mad but be nice to not have the responsibiity at times.

mazza58
28-04-2013, 08:59 AM
I have been a childminder for 30 years now, I started when my children were young and going to school and it fitted in nicely so that i could be at home for them as well as earning some money. i have enjoyed being my own boss, i love children and have enjoyed continuing this job long after my children have left home. I now have 2 grandsons and I love being able to see them anytime of the week and have them come to play with my mindee's they love it to. I now only work part time tues weds and thurs, as i enjoy lots of me time or being a grandma on those days. I did think that I would stop being a childminder when my children grew older, but I just loved being a child minder and have continued for that reason, I have seen many changes over the years and some not for the better though and not sure it is now going in the right direction , I am hoping to retire in 3 years but will I cope with out having the children around to keep me young :laughing:

clareelizabeth1
28-04-2013, 09:03 AM
I have no idea what I would do. I trained to be a computer network developer but even in the three years I've been minding it has all changed so much I would have to re train to do that.

I am trained to be a chef but the pace of that job is so fast I think now I stopped I wouldn't be able to go back to it. Or maybe I just always worked in places that were busy.

If I changed now I would be looking for a job that changed every day. Was something I looked forward to doing. Gave me a little bit of joy and laughter everyday. Thinking about it childminding is the only job like that so best go buy my lottery ticket.

Mice and Toad
28-04-2013, 09:49 AM
I started childminding like soo many of you because of my ds2, I thought well we will see how it goes but now, I love it soo much I can't see myself doing anything else and to echo someone else why did I not do this job years ago.

loocyloo
28-04-2013, 07:51 PM
I've been in childcare almost 25 yrs ... childminding for the past 10.

I can't see myself doing anything else...I like the freedom. I currently volunteer in school & I enjoy it & thought about being a TA, I would miss being my own boss.

lilac_dragon
28-04-2013, 08:25 PM
I have been a childminder for 30 years now, I started when my children were young and going to school and it fitted in nicely so that i could be at home for them as well as earning some money. i have enjoyed being my own boss, i love children and have enjoyed continuing this job long after my children have left home. I now have 2 grandsons and I love being able to see them anytime of the week and have them come to play with my mindee's they love it to. I now only work part time tues weds and thurs, as i enjoy lots of me time or being a grandma on those days. I did think that I would stop being a childminder when my children grew older, but I just loved being a child minder and have continued for that reason, I have seen many changes over the years and some not for the better though and not sure it is now going in the right direction , I am hoping to retire in 3 years but will I cope with out having the children around to keep me young :laughing:

This almost reads like me!!!!!!!!! lol
Eldest of my 4 is now 42, been Childminding for all the above reasons for the last 28 years. I don't feel my age in my head, just a bit slower and achy joints now. Love all my los to bits, look forward to Mon- Fri but am easing back on the 12 hour days that I've been doing and trying to only do 10.!
I have to use my living room as we have no other space, and sometimes miss just having my furniture and no toys. The paperwork is a pain in the proverbial but goes with the job, but I don't seem to get time for the hobbies I used to have in the early days, it's too full on now. There's no ME time.
Had to have some treatment for the early stages of Cancer earlier this year and it knocked the stuffing out of me a bit. All well now (touch wood fingers crossed etc) but not quite got the stamina back yet - need a holiday, but not earning enough to be able to take unpaid time off, after taking time off for treatment.
The stress of all the changes in Childminding at the moment is making me wonder what to do next, realistically I'm probably too old now to go and work somewhere else, FOR someone else. I have no savings, but do have a Mortgage, bills etc

ziggy
28-04-2013, 08:53 PM
I'm nearly 52 and a granny!! I've been in childcare for most of my adult life.

I was a childminder back in the 80's then went to college to become a NNEB nursery nurse, eventually becoming a deputy manager of a large nursery and afterschool club.

When i moved to Ireland i worked in a nursery which i hated, too many children with poor facilities so i went back to childminding

I love the freedom this job offers, the children become more than just a job, weather permitting we can be outside as much as we want.

My main worry is lack of financial security but then i guess no job is safe these days, so i can see myself doing this until i retire or die from exhaustion:laughing:

desiderata
28-04-2013, 08:56 PM
I agree with the last post, too much invasion on private life these days, but I also have no savings, no pension, and feel too late to change. Love the littllies tho just not the hastle that goes with it anymore at my age >

Memina
28-04-2013, 11:08 PM
So just another question. ..... those of you who have been doing this for a long time have you made plans for retirement like a pension plan.

I started working as a childminder at 26 so if I continue until no-one else wants me then I'd like to be prepared.

loocyloo
29-04-2013, 07:21 AM
i do pay into a pension plan ... but not much, and to be honest, its not going to give me much at all. when i got married (almost) 15 yrs ago i was at the bank sorting out name changes and joint bank accounts ( i still have my own as well! ) and other bits and it was suggested i started a pension ... so i just did what they suggested. i really ought to look into it and see if it is the right place etc but i am not very good at working things like this out.

phoenix2010
29-04-2013, 07:50 AM
This is a very interesting thread

Im 42 and Ive been working with children for 10 years , previous to that I managed a salon

Ive childminded on and off and I foresee me doing it for at least the next 5 years as my son is 6

Im currently looking into becoming accredited and working with families in crisis and teen mums , with a view to eventually going into family support

As for a pension , well I dont have one , but I plan to pay off my mortgage and acquire another property (small 2 bed flat in a cheap area) , be mortgage free by retirement and rent out the spare property to generate some income. Otherwise Im pretty much looking at solely relying on a state pension , but to be honest Ive lived on less as a single parent under a conservative government in the 90s.

Plan B , marry an aging millionaire :thumbsup:

ziggy
29-04-2013, 08:26 AM
as i widow i have my husbands pension but havent one of my own, i used to worry but try not to now