PDA

View Full Version : CRB certificate for cms

Simona
27-04-2013, 02:37 PM
I was invited to visit a CCentre in Hammersmith and Fulham yesterday and I was asked to bring along my CRB number and certificate...I have neither
Ofsted carried out my CRB but I never received a number or a certificate which I must say would be good to have alongside my registration
A few months ago I contacted Ofsted saying I wanted to do my own enhanced CRB and was told that was not necessary as Ofsted are in charge for cms

The CC manager said all the cms who attend there have a number and a certificate to show...I was totally lost but will obviously look into it
She photocopied my registration certificate I had taken along and said she would ring Ofsted. I was not in charge of any children so that was sorted
Do you have such details, have things changed and I have missed this?

lilac_dragon
27-04-2013, 02:52 PM
I asked Ofsted for a copy of my CRB by phone after I'd been asked by a parent, and was told that I don't need a copy because if I'm Registered it obviously means my CRB had been done as I can't be registered without it.
I queried this with my DO (in the days when I knew she existed because I'd seen her!!!!!).She told me to email the same question so that I had the answer in writing as evidence, which I did, and received.
The question has never come up since, and I can't say that I've heard or read anything to the contrary.

Houlgated
27-04-2013, 03:05 PM
I don't understand why you don't have your own copies. I have been having crb's for well over 10 years for various jobs and the person requesting them (employers) have always been sent their copy and I have always received my own copy. I had a new crb in march to help out at my daughter's school and received my copy of that.

blue bear
27-04-2013, 03:23 PM
I haven't had a crb through ofsted (was police checked many moons ago) wonder what the children centre manager would do with me?
Why do you need to prove your crb anyway, you wouldn't have a registration certificate if you hadn't had your criminal record checked. Our children centre treat everyone the same childminders, parents, grannies etc I have never been asked for my crb.

Smiley
27-04-2013, 03:38 PM
All of us who were childminders before Ofsted days, so prior to 2001 don't have CRB's
I know this issue crops up from time to time and I remember when Ofsted took over we good get the necessary application form from Liverpool and complete ready to give to an inspector at our next inspection. I remember trying to do that but was told it wasn't necessary as they were too busy processing newly registered providers and they would catch up with us. Well they never have and thousands of us are working on police checks that our local authority used when we registered.

Last year my local children's centre were having their Ofsted inspection and as I'm on the advisory board I was asked if I would be prepared to speak to Ofsted. I agreed and was asked for my CRB number, of course I couldn't give them one as a childminder although I have others from other organisations. Crazy situation!

sarahmc
27-04-2013, 07:43 PM
In my house my 3 children and my Husband all have the paperwork for their CRB checks, but me the Childminder, who registered 17 years ago doesn't!

Mouse
27-04-2013, 07:57 PM
This was a problem a few years ago when children's centres started asking for childminder's CRBs.

This is the info that was produced at the time by NCMA (I'm sure it's a public document, so nothing that I can't share).

http://www.**************/pdf/crb_childrencentres_info_v2.pdf

I printed it off & carried it in my bag in case my local cc ever asked for my CRB - I don't have one.

EDIT: it doesn't look like the link will work. Google 'childrens centre childminder crb' and look for the PDF from Pacey

Mouse
27-04-2013, 08:01 PM
In my house my 3 children and my Husband all have the paperwork for their CRB checks, but me the Childminder, who registered 17 years ago doesn't!

Same here! My husband & sons all have CRBs, but I don't!

supermumy
27-04-2013, 10:07 PM
I don't have one either!!

Simona
27-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Thank you for all your replies ...keep posting as it looks like we have another situation with so many different requirements/interpretations/local rules!
I will contact one of the Ofsted Managers on Monday so let me know your situation but as far as I know Ofsted does the CRB for cms and they hold the records

lisbet
27-04-2013, 11:03 PM
I have a copy of my childminding CRB issued in Nov '12. I also have copies of previous CRB's for a nursery school governor role and as a foster carer's relative.

Daisy De
27-04-2013, 11:05 PM
I was registered in 1993 and like everyone else do not have a certificate or number but have them for both my children

lilac_dragon
28-04-2013, 06:42 AM
Thank you for all your replies ...keep posting as it looks like we have another situation with so many different requirements/interpretations/local rules!
I will contact one of the Ofsted Managers on Monday so let me know your situation but as far as I know Ofsted does the CRB for cms and they hold the records

I was registered in 1985 and no copy of CRB/Police check for me (or my husband)- (see previous post), my children were CRB'd when they reached 16 also no copies.
However, I have copies for CRB's for teaching Archery, for Girlguiding UK, for local Holiday Playscheme, For Scouts/Cubs/Beavers, for both our Primary School and the High School, and a Youth Club.

Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin1964
28-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Partner CBR check went though (still waiting for mine they do send a certificate know

Tazmin68
28-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Hi

To be able to look after Holden on behalf or social services or sponsored through council both myself and husband have to have crb less than than 3 years old.

Simona
28-04-2013, 04:11 PM
RED TAPE everywhere...I thought Truss had declared herself the 'Red Tape' exterminator...wrong again!!!
It is just mad but thanks for all your input...so cms now get a certificate is it just the new ones or everyone??

Smiley
28-04-2013, 05:37 PM
It appears to be the case our Unique Reference Number (URN) is a way of identifying this. Everyone registered since Ofsted took over registrations & inspections in September 2001 have EY then a number. Those of us who were registered before then just have a number.

rickysmiths
29-04-2013, 12:20 PM

Ofsted arrange for and pay for the CRB. There is then a Certificate sent directly to the person who has been crb checked and it is their property and no one elses. Ofsted will be sent notification that the person is a suit able person and that they have a clear records (if they don't then further steps are taken). It is just the same when Ofsted request a CRB on you family members. The family member will be sent their certificate and you as the childminder will be sent a letter confirming that the person is deemed a suitable person. My understanding is they no longer send this letter to the childminder.

The fact that you are currently registered with Ofsed is sufficient proof that they deem you a suitable person. Otherwise they would not keep you Registered.

Children's Centres do not need to ask a Registered CM for proof and if they are then they clearly have no understanding of what a Registered Childminder is, how they are Registered and they are discriminating against you and ultimately excluding you. Personally I would report the Children Centres manager to Ofsted for doing this.

rickysmiths
29-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Hi

To be able to look after Holden on behalf or social services or sponsored through council both myself and husband have to have crb less than than 3 years old.

Then presumably they would arrange to do one on each of you.

rickysmiths
29-04-2013, 12:25 PM
RED TAPE everywhere...I thought Truss had declared herself the 'Red Tape' exterminator...wrong again!!!
It is just mad but thanks for all your input...so cms now get a certificate is it just the new ones or everyone??

My husband and children have been CRB checked at different time over the last 8 years by OFSTED and all of them have their own Certificates and I have a letter telling me they are suitable people. They have always sent out Certificates I have never met anyone who hasn't got one. I would sgest those who haven't it is a mistake and you should contact Ofsted to sort it out.

hollyvilla
29-04-2013, 12:54 PM
I too do not have a CRB certificate, neither does my husband. I was registered 23 years ago by social services and we did not receive any proof of our Police check, as it was known then. We too have had problems with our local Children's Centre regarding this. II would not be registered with Ofsted if I and my family had not been checked.

Simona
29-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Rickysmiths...I think it is becoming clear that there are variations on this, some have certificates some don't...some cms rely on Ofsted some are told by the LA to do every 3 years and some even pay for it!
I was CRBd by Ofsted 13 years ago and never got anything but Ofsted have reassured me I need to do nothing as all is covered...is it my mistake or theirs?... I certainly would like a certificate to show my parents and put next to my registration one.

Ofsted have not always sent a certificate as you say and I think you have now heard from many cms in this forum in that situation...a universal approach to this would be greatly appreciated by all...so back to red tape as the culprit!

I was asked by the CCentre and, as that is their procedure, I could not argue so I am trying to find out what is the answer

sarahmc
29-04-2013, 08:10 PM
My son had his done about a month ago. He received a certificate and I received a letter saying he was suitable and it only took 17 days from posting!!

Simona
30-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Problem solved...cms who were registered under the LA do not have a certificate or number because Ofsted took over the details from the LAs in 2000
All cms registered under Ofsted since then will have a certificate and a number...or so Ofsted told me today

There is apparently a Factsheet that explains all this but I do not have the link

Simona
14-05-2013, 05:25 PM
I did get a reply today from the Ofsted manager with regards to CRB for cms, the issue of certificates and who does it for us and the LAs who request it for cms

These are extracts from her reply
'At present, Ofsted is responsible for obtaining CRB checks on childminders, their assistants and any adult members of their household'

'Some childminders who have registered with Ofsted since the CRB began its work will have an Ofsted-requested CRB certificate, as may some who have been registered prior to Ofsted but for whom we had reason to carry out a new CRB check (for example because of a concern)'

'Others may have no certificate at all because there registration pre-dates the CRB and when Ofsted took over responsibility for registration we were not required to carry out new checks on all those who had been previously registered with their local authority; their registrations simply transferred to Ofsted'

'Some local authorities may choose to request a CRB check on all their childminders. I am not sure whether they are legally entitled to do so but even if they did, these would not meet Ofsted’s requirements because if we need to do the CRB check then we have to do it ourselves; we cannot rely on a check that another organisation may have carried out. It is not for Ofsted to comment on a local authority’s own practice in requesting CRB checks' (end)

I hope this is helpful to you, especially the LAs requesting a CRB that you have to pay for, and of course the Ofsted Factsheet has additional information