PDA

View Full Version : telling porkies

Memina
26-04-2013, 10:04 AM
Omg can someone offer some urgent advice on how to curb this?

2yo mindee with very high speech and language skills has started being very destructive, breaking things etc and then lying about. Even when I've seen her do it and shes seen me see her!

I've posted before about this child who doesn't appear to have developed her social skills but thought we where getting somewhere as she's been getting better st self selecting activities.

jadavi
26-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Have you talked to her parents about it and come up with a plan that you all follow.?
Any other setting involved?
Joint attack / approach needed!

sarah707
26-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Make sure you document absolutely everything - including what you are doing holistically to support the child's psed - and work in very close partnership with parents.

Unfortunately lies can turn into complaints and allegations of abuse especially if the little one knows that her words make adults sit up and take notice of what she is saying.

Hopefully it's a quickly passing phase :D

kel1983
26-04-2013, 10:30 AM
completely agree with Sarah. Document everything. We had a 2 yo who told porkies and some strong allegations were made against a member of my family. Chat with mum or dad and see how you can work together to resolve the problem now before it gets too far.

Memina
26-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Goodness I hadnt even thought as far as that.

The sorts of porkies are like opening the baby gate and then saying it wasnt her or pulling my car blind down and denying it eventhough she was sitting next to it.

I just wanted some advice on curbing this but am glad you pointed out how it could escalate. Will begin to keep a note about it and speak with parents.

Worried now

phoenix2010
26-04-2013, 10:42 AM
Are the parents aware of her capability to lie ?

you need to have a discussion with them, and the reason I say that is that rather than lying about breaking things, her next lie could be about you !!

Ive been in that situation and its very worrying :(

As Sarah said document when she does lie , just a short sentance

eg 9.30 X said that she didnt break the toy but I saw her do it

Discuss with parents how to handle it when she lies , its very difficult as she is so young, to help them to understand what is truth , what is lies and what is storytelling and imagination , but as she is already lying then its a conversation that you need to start having with her , told through puppets maybe and stories , acting out scenarios so that she can see a lie being told in real time from a different perspective and begin to link it to her own behaviour and the consequences of it

skatie
27-04-2013, 06:46 AM
Out of curiosity, where would you document this?

shortstuff
27-04-2013, 07:08 AM
I have one here that does the same, LO also blames others for their actions.

I have just yesterday come up with a system with the parents. Don't know if you will like the idea for you.

I am going to use an improvement chart here all week and send it home on Friday. If LO has achieved the agreed target parents will give LO a treat.

We decided to try this system so LO can see the behaviour here has an effect on what treats LO receives at home.

I am putting this in place because one of the things LO says is they can be as naughty here as they like cause they will still get to go on favourite activities and anything they want. Ive even been told it doesn't matter if the dinner I have cooked gets eaten cause Mummy will still give a cake in the car.

I hope you manage to sort this quickly as my situation is leaving me frustrated so I can imagine you feel the same.

shortstuff
27-04-2013, 07:09 AM
Out of curiosity, where would you document this?

I always put it in the daily diary. HTH