PDA

View Full Version : After school only?

Chell
03-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Does anyone onlly mind after school/in the holidays?

I've considered childminding for a while now. I am already self employed as I run my website which isn't expanding all the time but not overly busy.

I have thought about registering as a childminder to do after school care but read on another board that there often isn't a need for this due to the increase in number of after school clubs.

Any thoughts?

miss mopple
03-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Does anyone onlly mind after school/in the holidays?

I've considered childminding for a while now. I am already self employed as I run my website which isn't expanding all the time but not overly busy.

I have thought about registering as a childminder to do after school care but read on another board that there often isn't a need for this due to the increase in number of after school clubs.

Any thoughts?

Hi Chell

I replied on the other board ;) (different user name just to confuse :) )

I haven't had a call for an over 5 in 1.5 years. I put it down to the after school clubs as they are so cheap, so there's just no call for it here.

Suits me though as I prefer the littlies :D

kindredspirits
03-07-2008, 04:27 PM
hi, i think your best bet is to find out the need in your area - here i could mind only after school kids as the local schools afterschool club is fully booked with a long waiting list - depends on your school. worth a thought though as if you're at home anyway after school kids are only a few hours a day!

anna x

Heaven Scent
03-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Speak to the head teachers at your local schools to see if they feel there would be a demand Also go onto your local authority's website and go to their childcare section and find a number you could call to see if there is a demand - You could also contact local childminders in your area and ask them.

clairemiranda
03-07-2008, 05:06 PM
I only do before and after school, and it works out great. The after-school club is full and has a waiting list, and very few c/m's want to do before-school. It suits me fine - I can please myself from 9 til 3 and I make a good living out of it doing just 14 hours a week (I don't do Fridays).

sarah707
03-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Lots of children don't like the clubs and we offer more flexibility as well with later collection times and giving tea if required.

Defiinitely a demand round here - I'm full with after schoolers :D

nell57
03-07-2008, 06:33 PM
The school I pick up from does have wrap a round care, but I have had school age mindees ever since I have been registered. Of the ones I have on my books at the moment, like Sarah says not all children like the clubs, one is a 10 year old boy who would prefer to come here than go the care club, the other one is a 5 year girl whose mum likes the flexibility I can offer.

Helen

flora
03-07-2008, 09:20 PM
I only do after school or after 2pm at the the moment. I have one space for an after schooler but don't advertise it as I haven't any room in the car ( if it rains hard )

Check out with the schools etc, the only thing I find is that parents may only want you for an hr or may be half an hour and tbh thats a pain. I do an after school session 3pm - 6pm. They can use all or some of it and both my sets of parents are happy ( thank god :blush: )

foxy lady
03-07-2008, 09:29 PM
omg have loads of children that only come after school
i wish i had more space i am always turning after school care away
its good too i charge much more per hour for after school only
i know it is different in different parts of the counrty tho