PDA

View Full Version : Had a practice today

Petshrinklj
25-04-2013, 07:53 PM
The reception teacher at my sons school asked for parents to help with the infants cross country. I agreed to help thinking my son would be taking part but it turned out it wasn't open to reception kids. Nevermind it gave me some practice that should be useful when I become a childminder doing school runs. I had to walk three year 2 kids as well as my buggy with my toddler in it across several roads to the leisure centre field where they were dong their cross country run. Wooh it was tricky as they were desperate to run off ahead but I managed to keep them under control and got all 4 kids and myself to and from the event safely. Go me! Lol.

RuthJ
25-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Well done :clapping: practice makes perfect!! You'll be whizzing along with 6 kids in tow in no time!!!:laughing:

shortstuff
25-04-2013, 09:50 PM
love it, you turned it into a positive for you, well done.

kel1983
26-04-2013, 09:29 AM
I found my first time walking 2 children a little bit of a worry but now will have a double pushchair and 3 walking and dont really think about it. I helps when you have children that listen and pay attention to the rules we set when leaving the house or school

skatie
27-04-2013, 06:51 AM
Just out of interest as I am fairly new to childminding and am having a problem with one child not listening when we walk. Do you reiterate your rules every time you begin a long walk and do you have a consequence for those that don't listen ie they have to hold onto the buggy?

MessybutHappy
27-04-2013, 07:36 AM
Absolutely, and if they can't hold on, I'll hold them! In a harness if necessary, the older ones think they are too big, but I can prove they are not in the privacy of the house, so they trend to comply!

Petshrinklj
27-04-2013, 08:25 AM
Just out of interest as I am fairly new to childminding and am having a problem with one child not listening when we walk. Do you reiterate your rules every time you begin a long walk and do you have a consequence for those that don't listen ie they have to hold onto the buggy?

Hi I'm not a childminder I'm still waiting to start my cypop5 I'm just mum helping out with school activity. I just saw this as a useful practice for when I do become a childminder. I insisted the kids held the buggy. I didn't know the kids and what they'd be like walking so wasnt going to take anychances. i wanted them within arms reach. So I told them before we set off that my rule was to hold the buggy or my hand. As I had three of them two held either side of buggy and one girl held my hand and I pushed buggy with my other hand. I didn't mention any consequences but they were still under care of school as school outing so I guess they assumed they'd be in trouble with teachers for misbehaving. Whenever they let go off buggy I would just remind them of rule and they held back on (sometimes grumpily) lol. Engaging them in conversation really helped them want to stay next to me.